Saudi police detain teenage boy for dancing in the street
August 23 2017 10:37 AM
Saudi boy dance
Saudi boy dance

Reuters/Dubai

Saudi police said on Tuesday they had detained a 14-year-old boy who was filmed dancing to the 1990s hit song ‘Macarena’ at a street crossing in the coastal city of Jeddah, in a clip that was widely shared on social media.

The teenager, whose name and nationality were not given, was being questioned because he had shown ‘improper public behaviour’ and disrupted traffic, a statement from Makkah police said. It was not clear whether he would be formally charged.

In the 45-second video, a teenager wearing a striped t-shirt, grey sports shorts and brightly-coloured shoes strides to the middle of a crosswalk. He starts dancing to the catchy tune in front of five lanes of cars stopped at a traffic light.

Earlier this month police arrested and released a Saudi singer for using the 'dab' move in an onstage dance. Abdallah al-Shahani appeared on a viral video performing the dance at a music festival in the city of Taif in southwestern Saudi Arabia.

The dance had been banned in the Kingdom by the National Committee for Drug Control, on the grounds that it advocated or encouraged drug abuse, according to Saudi media.

Saudis are among the most active users of social media in the Arab world, using the Internet as an outlet for debate and interaction in their deeply conservative society.




Saudi police release teenager detained for dancing in street

A 14-year-old boy who was detained by Saudi police for dancing to the song ‘Macarena’ at a traffic intersection has been released with a warning about road safety, the interior ministry said on Wednesday.

Police had said the teenager, whose name and nationality were not given, was being questioned because he had shown ‘improper public behaviour’ and disrupted traffic.

An interior ministry statement said the boy had been released without charge, after he and his legal guardian were summoned for questioning.

‘They signed a written pledge that the teen will not engage in behaviour that could endanger his life and the life of others again,’ it said.

‘The notification was solely intended to warn the boy about potential consequences for his own safety, as well as to safeguard the overall safety of motorists and pedestrians.’


Last updated: August 23 2017 11:19 AM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS