People search for survivors among the debris after a building was bombed in Deir al-Balah, central Gaza Strip on Friday. Palestinian hospital sources reported that 35 people were killed Friday in an Israeli bombing of the Deir al-Balah area.
His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani laid the foundation stone for the $6bn Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex, one of the largest in the world, which will raise Qatar’s overall petrochemical production capacity to about 14mn tonnes a year by the end of 2026.The groundbreaking ceremony for the world-scale integrated polymers complex was held at Ras Laffan Industrial City, and attended by HE the Minister of State for Energy Affairs, Saad Sherida al-Kaabi, also the President and CEO of QatarEnergy, Mark Lashier, President and CEO of Phillips 66, Bruce Chinn, President and CEO of Chevron Phillips Chemical, and senior executives from QatarEnergy and Chevron Phillips Chemical.The complex will house an ethane cracker with a capacity of 2.1mn tonnes per year of ethylene, making it the largest in the Middle East and one of the largest in the world, and raising Qatar’s ethylene production capacity by more than 40%.The 435-acre site also includes two polyethylene trains with a combined annual output of 1.7mn tonnes of high-density Polyethylene (HDPE) polymer products, raising Qatar’s overall production by about 50%.QatarEnergy holds an equity share of 70% in the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex, with Chevron Phillips Chemical owning the remaining 30%.Speaking at the ground breaking ceremony, al-Kaabi highlighted the project’s unique environmental qualities, and the world-class construction, operation, and technology standards, all designed to ensure energy savings, and significant reduction of emissions and hydrocarbon waste compared with similar global facilities.“The Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex is being built at a cost of $6bn, making it the largest investment in history of QatarEnergy in Qatar’s petrochemicals sector. There is no doubt that this is an important landmark in QatarEnergy’s downstream expansion strategy as it will reinforce our integrated position as a global energy player and generate significant economic benefits for the country,” the minister said.“Our prominent standing in the petrochemical industry will be further strengthened when we commence production of the Golden Triangle Polymers Plant in 2026, which we are developing in the US state of Texas at a cost of $8.5bn in partnership with Chevron Phillips Chemical, and which is considered the biggest in the world,” al-Kaabi noted.Al-Kaabi expressed his thanks to the management and staff of Chevron Phillips Chemical, QatarEnergy’s partner in this project, and extended his appreciation to the dedicated teams from QatarEnergy who are working diligently to implement this project as well as its contractors.“I am honoured to extend ample thanks to His Highness, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Amir of the State of Qatar, for his patronage of this event and honouring us with his presence, and for his unlimited support to the energy sector,” al-Kaabi added.Later addressing a press conference along with Chinn, the minister said the Ras Laffan Petrochemical Complex is expected to generate significant economic benefits for the country including increased tax revenue and foreign investment.Earlier the JV partners – QatarEnergy and Chevron Phillips Chemical Company (CPChem) announced they have secured $4.4bn financing for the Ras Laffan Petrochemicals project.The senior debt financing package comprises commercial and Islamic facilities as well as Export Credit Agency (ECA) financing.Ends
A cohort of nearly 100 emerging leaders from around the world, including 21 young people studying and working in Qatar, have been selected to participate in the 2024 Ambassador Programme offered by Qatar Foundation’s Doha Debates.Cohort members will work with facilitation experts and international guest speakers to develop advanced communication skills, engage in productive dialogue around complex global issues, and work collaboratively to envision the future they want for themselves.The 10-week programme hones ambassadors’ facilitation and negotiation skills as they tackle critical issues like climate change, global governance and ethical AI, seeking to find common ground with peers who have diverse worldviews.The incoming ambassadors completed Doha Debates’ online self-guided course, “Introduction to the Majlis,” learning to counter polarisation with solutions-based dialogue rooted in the Arab tradition of the majlis, a welcoming meeting ground to openly discuss personal and community issues.This course is free and open to the public on the Participate learning platform.Programme alumni most recently took part in Doha Debates’ town hall, “Rise of the Rest: Who should lead in a multipolar world?”, appearing onstage to ask questions of panelists Jon B Alterman, Sawsan Chebli and Wadah Khanfar.Additionally, six alumni have been selected to mentor the new cohort and contribute to the Ambassador Programme curriculum. They are also working with Doha Debates’ education team to co-create classroom teaching guides for use with the organisation’s new podcast, Necessary Tomorrows.The 2024 Ambassador Programme welcomes a select group of students studying at American University of Afghanistan in Qatar, Georgetown University in Qatar, Northwestern University in Qatar, Texas A&M University at Qatar, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, Qatar University, University of Doha for Science and Technology, American School of Doha and Hamad Bin Khalifa University. These aspiring leaders make up a cohort that represents 33 countries across five continents, including Afghanistan, Algeria, Palestine, Bangladesh, Uganda and Nigeria.“Since its launch three years ago, the Ambassador Program has empowered young people to tackle complex problems cooperatively across differences of opinion,” said Amjad Atallah, managing director of Doha Debates. ”We're thrilled to see what this new cohort is able to achieve using the communication, better conversations, and collaboration skills they develop through the programme. We are grateful to Qatar Foundation for continuing to support this unique global initiative.”
QatarEnergy expects more LNG deals with European and Asian buyers and more value added partners (VAPs) are expected to join the multi-billion dollar North Field expansion project, noted HE the Minister of State for Energy Affairs, Saad bin Sherida al-Kaabi.The North Field expansion comprises North Field South (NFS) and North Field East (NFE) and will increase Qatar’s LNG production capacity from the current 77 MTPY to 126 MTPY in a few years.Qatar has been securing sales contracts for some of that capacity and is still seeking to place volumes in an effort to ensure the country remains a key supplier for decades to come.In reply to a question by Gulf Times at a media event at Ras Laffan on Monday, al-Kaabi said “yes” when asked whether more value added partners would be joining the North Field expansion since many long-term deals are being signed with buyers, mostly based in Asia.In June last year, China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) joined the North Field expansion project as the first value added partner.Last year, al-Kaabi told Gulf Times at a media event held on the sidelines of the event at QatarEnergy, “Our project provides lucrative returns in the industry. So the returns are very high.”He said, “The way we have structured the project is that 75% in each venture will be with us - QatarEnergy - and the remaining 25% tendered out to competition for international oil companies (IOCs).“Of the 75% stake we have, 5% is potentially for value added partners. We will only give up 5% of our stake in the project if someone actually secures a long-term market. And add value to the project, long-term. Today’s agreement shows that value addition through CNPC,” al-Kaabi had said.
Injured Palestinians arrive at Nasser hospital in Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip, as Israeli forces strike the city in some of the most intense combat of the nearly two-month war. Following a week-long truce that ended last Friday, Israel has expanded its military operation and shifted its focus to the south of the Gaza Strip. AFP