A FIFA sign is pictured at the football's World governing body headquarters in Zurich on Thursday.
Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter appeared before the world body's ethics judges on Thursday to answer corruption allegations as Switzerland announced it has frozen tens of millions of dollars in accounts linked to football bribes.
Blatter, who with vice president Michel Platini faces a long suspension, arrived at FIFA's base in Zurich in a black Mercedes with his lawyer. He made no comment as he entered.
Before the hearing, Blatter, 79, wrote a letter to FIFA's 209 members calling the FIFA ethics commission's investigators "the inquisition".
As the hearing went ahead, Russia's President Vladimir Putin, whose country will host the 2018 World Cup, said Blatter should be a Nobel Peace laureate.
"That is someone who should be given the Nobel Peace Prize," Putin said. "His contribution to the global humanitarian sphere is colossal."
Blatter is under criminal investigation in Switzerland over a 2mn Swiss francs ($2mn) payment made to Platini in 2011 for work carried out about a decade earlier.
Platini's case will be heard on Friday, but he has said he will boycott the tribunal. His lawyers will go however.
Platini has said the verdict has been decided in advance and his lawyers say FIFA's ethics committee has recommended a life ban for the French football legend.
Blatter and Platini deny any misconduct.
Decision next week
The ethics committee chamber is expected to announce its verdict next Monday. Appeals to a FIFA appeal committee and the Court of Arbitration for Sport are then possible.
FIFA has been plunged into several corruption scandals this year, which played a key role in Blatter's announcement in June that he would stand down when a new election is held in February.
Platini was considered favourite to take over but his campaign has been frozen since he and Blatter were suspended in October over the payment which they insist was legal.
The US asked Switzerland to freeze about 50 accounts in Swiss banks linked to its massive inquiry into football corruption, a federal prosecution spokesman told AFP.
Federal justice spokesman Folco Galli said "funds in the high tens of millions are blocked."
The Tages Anzeiger newspaper said the figure was between 50mn and 100mn Swiss francs ($50-100mn). Galli declined to comment on the total.
The action involved about 50 accounts in 10 Swiss banks. Numerous FIFA members are known to have accounts in the country.
Nicolas Leoz, a longtime head of the South American confederation, CONMEBOL, had 12 accounts in Switzerland, the Swiss television programme Eco said, quoting details from the US request.
The US has charged 39 individuals, including Leoz, and two companies over bribes of more than $200mn paid for football marketing and television rights deals.
Twelve have so far pleaded guilty.
Galli said that because of the scope of the US inquiry, the FIFA case is "one of the biggest cases of foreign help that we are dealing with."
The UBS, Credit Suisse, Pictet, BSI and Julius Baer banks have all received requests for account details.
The federal justice office looks at each request case by case and if suspicious information is confirmed hands details to the US.
But appeals are possible against the decisions and Tages Anzeiger said it could take years to get all the cases completed.
Germany has also asked Switzerland for judicial help over its inquiry into allegations that bribes were paid to secure the 2006 World Cup finals.Last updated:
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Siraj says Australia abuse made him ‘mentally strong’
Mathews ton lifts Sri Lanka in second Test
Adelaide quarantine no different to Melbourne: Thiem
Bencic hopes AO organisers are fair to players in isolation
Hagy edges An, Kim to grab PGA lead in California desert
Japan, IOC firm Olympics will not be scrapped
QOC President participates in IOC informal meeting
MotoGP season to start with two races in Qatar
World title would be icing on Bayern’s cake: Flick