Sport

Monday, February 16, 2026 | Daily Newspaper published by GPPC Doha, Qatar.
Carlos Alcaraz of Spain during a training session on the centre court at Khalifa International Tennis Complex in Doha Sunday.

Alcaraz eyes improvement as Doha battle beckons

Australian Open champion Carlos Alcaraz of Spain is unbeaten in the new season but the 22-year-old is no mood to relax ahead of this week’s Qatar ExxonMobil Open where he is the top seed. Alcaraz beat Grand Slam ‘king’ Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open two weeks ago to be 7-0 in the new season that has just completed six weeks of top flight tennis. “Coming here, these days, my team and I, just we set up some goals for this tournament,” Alcaraz said during a pre-event news conference Sunday. “We are not talking about results at all. It’s just more about the process to be better, still in the process to grow up. There are some things that I really want to be better and (I want to) develop my game in a way that I really want to show up and to pull off here in this tournament. “That would be a really successful week for me, besides results. I (want to) see myself that I’m just doing the right things on and off the court,” the 25-time Tour-level champion said. Alcaraz will take on France’s Arthur Rinderknech in their opening match in Doha where his chief opponent is second seed Jannik Sinner of Italy. The Doha field also includes former champions Andrey Rublev, Daniil Medvedev and Karen Khachanov. Alexander Bublik is seeded third, followed by Medvedev in fourth and Rublev in fifth. Jakub Mensik, Khachanov and Jiri Lehecka complete the top eight seeds at the $2,833,335 tournament. The singles champion will get richer by $529,945 while the winning doubles team will split $174,050. “I know how difficult every match is. Every match is different, our play is totally different,” Alcaraz said yesterday. “I think this draw is a really tough one for a 500 tournament. We can see the first matches how good matches that we have in the first round. So (I’m) just thinking about a match at a time, and let’s see how far I can go. Obviously my mind is trying to go as far as I can. If it’s possible to play a final, obviously that would be great, and that’s what I’m looking for, so let’s see. I’m not thinking about playing or just putting myself in the final too early. I want to think day by day,” he added. Alcaraz said recent successes have made him more determined to work harder and not take his opponents lightly. “Obviously I can see myself that (I have had) a lot of success so far, winning the biggest tournaments in the world,” Alcaraz said. “But I just see myself with weaknesses. A lot of players, I know that they’re trying to catch me up in terms of they are studying my game, they study how I play, trying to beat me, trying to challenge me,” he said. “I have to be ready for that, and I have to see where my level is, where my tennis is. I have to try to put myself in their minds and think what they could do when playing against me.“So that’s what I mean about saying I have to improve some things. “Obviously, you cannot be lagging in the level, you just have to keep it going,” he explained. Prior to arriving in Doha, Alcaraz enjoyed a short stopover in Bahrain where he met fellow Spaniards superstars Fernando Alonso and Carlos Sainz at an F1 pre-season testing week.

Legion XIII player Jon Rahm from Spain hits a tee shot during the LIV Golf Adelaide at The Grange Golf Club in Adelaide on February 14, 2026. (AFP)

Rahm, DeChambeau set for Adelaide title battle

Jon Rahm recorded a walk-off eagle on the 18th hole Saturday to pull into a tie with Bryson DeChambeau for first place after the third round of LIV Golf Adelaide in Australia.The two stand ‌at 19-under for the tournament, five strokes ahead of their nearest ​competitor.Rahm’s electric finish to ‌his round of 6-under 66 at Grange Golf Club ‌wasn’t without questions, however.The Spaniard’s initial ‌drive on the par-4 final hole ‌sailed off course, however his ball was ruled to be impeded by infrastructure brought in for the event. He was given a free relief on a line near the fairway. Rahm then holed out from approximately 200 feet to join DeChambeau atop the leaderboard.That spoiled an otherwise brilliant day for DeChambeau, who made nine birdies in an 11-hole stretch to highlight his round of 8-under 64 yesterrday.“Well, it was shocking, obviously. ​I didn’t know that’s what could happen, so that was most of what the shock was,” DeChambeau said of Rahm’s 18th hole. “It was like, what the heck, you ‌can do that? I didn’t know that. But ultimately, I ​didn’t really know from my perspective that it was ​OK over there, so I was kind of shocked.”Rahm was asked if the final round at Adelaide will represent the closest thing to a Ryder Cup Sunday singles tournament, given the big, loud crowds that have lined the course.“Quite frankly, it’s hard to replicate Sunday in Ryder Cup,” the two-time LIV individual season champ said. “It’s hard to say it will be the same feel, especially we’re not home or away for anybody. It should in theory turn into a two-man race. In that ‌essence, it should have ‌that feel. But I wouldn’t put it past someone shooting 10-under (on Sunday).”Anthony Kim (68 Saturday) resides in third place at 14-under, one stroke ahead of a three-golfer contingent that includes home favorite Cameron Smith. The Australian joined that group with a sizzling bogey-free round of 8-under 64 Saturday.“Giving six shots to both Bryson and Jon is probably not where you want to be on the last day, to be honest,” Smith said. “It’s going to ​take a lot.“If I went out there and played similar to what I did (on Saturday), I think I’m in with a chance. I don’t think it’s easy out there. I think you can definitely get on the back foot here quickly, particularly early in the round.”Lucas Herbert (67) also is included in that group at 13-under after reeling off a string of six straight birdies.As for the team competition, Rahm’s heroics have allowed Legion XIII to ‌sit in first place ​at 45-under.