Top Canadian team to probe siege violations
February 17 2018 06:28 PM
Qatar Canada
The visit will also look to enhance strategic co-operation between Qatari institutions and their Canadian counterparts in all fields.

QNA/Doha


A high-ranking Canadian delegation will visit Qatar from February 23-28 to get a closer look at the humanitarian impact of the siege on the citizens and residents of the country, as well as other GCC citizens.
The visit is organised in co-operation between the Qatar National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) and the Qatari-Canadian Friendship Society. The visit will also look to enhance strategic co-operation between Qatari institutions and their Canadian counterparts in all fields.
The Canadian delegation will include members of the NGO community, ambassadors, former military personnel, researches in international relations, as well as research centers from Canadian universities.
Meanwhile, Qatari Businessmen Association (QBA) held a meeting with a Canadian trade delegation, headed by former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada and former Prime Minister of Quebec Jean Charest, in Doha on Saturday.

The two sides discussed means of enhancing mutual co-operation and reviewed promising investment areas in Qatar and Canada.
A British parliamentary delegation that visited Qatar last week has promised to get in touch with the British Foreign Office and give the chairman of the British Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee copies of the report on the repercussions of the siege on human rights, which was drafted by the technical mission of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) that had earlier visited Doha.
The remarks were made during a meeting between NHRC Chairman HE Dr Ali bin Smaikh al-Marri and the delegation, which was led by MP Alistair Carmichael.
The NHRC has been spearheading a campaign to highlight the widespread and severe human rights violations as a result of the blockade imposed on Qatar by a Saudi-led bloc since June last year.
Dr al-Marri said NHRC would contact the UN Human Rights Council and the special rapporteurs on human rights regarding the report of the international organisation's mission and call upon them to take urgent steps to redress the victims of the siege, whether citizens, residents or citizens of the Gulf Co-operation Council, especially after the issuance of the UN report, which is considered a legal document and an important reference that neutrally and credibly confirms the damage caused by the siege.
During the meeting, Dr al-Marri made a presentation to the British delegation on the developments of the current crisis and said that the highest priority was to stop the increasing humanitarian violations and stop the suffering of civilians.
The NHRC chairman also explained to the delegation how the victims are suffering and how the siege countries are intentionally prolonging the crisis. He also briefed the delegation about the report of the UN mission and the NHRC reports on human rights violations since the beginning of the crisis.


Last updated: February 17 2018 11:25 PM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS