tag

Sunday, May 24, 2026 | Daily Newspaper published by GPPC Doha, Qatar.

Tag Results for "blast" (3 articles)

Gulf Times
International

Pakistan train blast kills dozens: official

A blast targeting a train carrying military personnel killed at least 24 people on Sunday in Pakistan's turbulent southwestern province of Balochistan, a senior official said.Army servicemen were among the victims of the attack in the provincial capital Quetta, which wounded more than 50 people, the official told AFP.Images showed a mangled train carriage on its side as people clambered over the wreckage to find survivors.People could be seen carrying blood-soaked victims on stretchers away from a derailed car, while armed security forces stood guard. The official told AFP that the train carrying army personnel and their family members was going from Quetta to Peshawar in Pakistan's northwest.The train was passing a signal at Chaman Pattak in Quetta "when an explosive-laden car hit one of the carriages that resulted in a big blast", the official said. Windows were blown out and nearby vehicles were destroyed in the explosion. Another official told AFP that the army personnel were travelling to celebrate the Eid holiday, which is due to start on Tuesday.- 'Running for shelter' -Balochistan is Pakistan's poorest province and largest by landmass. It lags behind the rest of the country in almost every index, including education, employment and economic development.Baloch separatists accuse Pakistan's government of exploiting the province's natural gas and abundant mineral resources without benefiting the local population.Mohammad Rahim, who was near the site of the attack, told AFP he was sleeping when the explosion ripped through the area."My family and I jumped out of our beds when we heard a loud bang," he said. "I heard screaming and the crying of women and children in the building, including my family."Another witness, Abdul Basit, told AFP he was standing in a queue to buy breakfast when he heard the blast. "People started running for shelter," he said.Mujib Ahmad said that his car was damaged in the explosion. "When I heard the blast, I thought that it must be an attack," he said."I came out of the building and saw the devastation and my car was completely damaged."A police official told AFP the weight of the improvised explosive device used in the attack was around 35 kilograms (77 pounds).They said that police and security agencies were investigating the attack.

Director General of Police (DGP) of Jammu and Kashmir, Nalin Prabhat pays tribute during the wreath laying ceremony for the deceased victims in an accidental blast at Nowgam police station, on the outskirts of Srinagar, on November 15, 2025. (AFP)
International

Nine killed in accidental explosion at Indian Kashmir police station

Nine people were killed and 31 injured when confiscated explosives accidentally blew up at a police station in Indian-administered Kashmir, police said Saturday, just days after a car blast in Delhi killed a dozen people.The incident happened in Nowgam and the explosives at the police station were recovered from Faridabad in the northern state of Haryana earlier this week, just hours before the powerful blast in Delhi that killed 12 people.Samples from the recovered material were being sent for further forensic examination since Thursday, the region's director general of police Nalin Prabhat said, and the procedure was being handled with "utmost caution" due to its "unstable and sensitive nature"."However, unfortunately during this course (on Friday) around 11:20 pm, an accidental explosion has taken place. Any other speculation into the cause of this incident is unnecessary," he told reporters.The victims included police personnel, forensic team members and two crime photographers and other members from the local administration."The building of the police station has been severely damaged and the adjacent buildings have been affected," he added.Local media reported that the militant organisation People's Anti-Fascist Front (PAFF), said to be close to the Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) group, had taken responsibility for the explosion, but the region's police dismissed the claims.Attacks blamed on JeM include the 2001 assault on India's parliament, and the 2019 Pulwama suicide bombing, which killed 40 security personnel."The claim of PAFF or any other Pakistani terrorist group is patently false, baseless and mischievous!" the Jammu and Kashmir police said in a post on X.The explosion comes just days after powerful blast on Monday killed at least 12 people and wounded 30 others in the Indian capital New Delhi.It was the most significant security incident since April 22, when 26 mainly Hindu civilians were killed at the tourist site of Pahalgam in Indian-administered Kashmir, triggering clashes with Pakistan.India's government on Wednesday vowed to bring the "perpetrators, their collaborators, and their sponsors" of the deadly car blast in the heart of the capital to justice and called it an act of terrorism.ash/mtp

A view shows the damage at the site of a massive explosion in Beirut port, Lebanon August 17, 2020. REUTERS file photo.
Region

Shipowner linked to giant Beirut port blast held in Bulgaria

A shipowner wanted over a 2020 blast at Beirut port that killed more than 220 people has been arrested in Bulgaria, officials said Tuesday.The August 4, 2020 disaster was one of the world's largest non-nuclear explosions, ravaging swathes of the Lebanese capital and injuring more than 6,500 people.Authorities have said the blast was triggered by a fire in a warehouse where tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser had been stored haphazardly for years after arriving by ship, despite repeated warnings to senior officials.Beirut authorities identified Igor Grechushkin, a 48-year-old Russian-Cypriot citizen, as the owner of the Rhosus, the ship that transported the ammonium nitrate.Interpol issued red notices for him and two others in 2021.Grechushkin "has been placed in detention for a maximum duration of 40 days by a court decision on September 7, confirmed on appeal," a Sofia city court spokeswoman told AFP.The authorities requesting extradition have 40 days to send the necessary documents to effect such a move, according to Bulgarian law.Grechushkin was held on an Interpol red notice at Sofia airport on September 5 upon his arrival from Paphos in Cyprus, a Bulgarian judicial source confirmed to AFP.Wanted by the Lebanese judicial authorities, he is being sought for allegedly "introducing explosives into Lebanon, a terrorist act that resulted in the death of a large number of people, disabling machinery with the intent of sinking a ship", the Bulgarian prosecutor's office said in a statement.Grechushkin was arrested during a routine check of passengers arriving from Paphos, according to border police."He offered no resistance. He repeatedly insisted on speaking to a lawyer and, after consulting one, he fully cooperated," Zdravko Samuilov, head of the border police at Sofia Airport, told reporters Tuesday.He informed the officers that he came to Bulgaria "for tourism", Samuilov added.Beirut is preparing to request the extradition of Grechushkin, a Lebanese judicial source told AFP.Authorities rely "on Mr. Grechushkin's statements and on the information he holds... to shed light on essential aspects of the investigation", the source said.The Rhosus, a Moldovan-flagged cargo ship sailing from Georgia and bound for Mozambique, is widely understood to have brought the fertiliser to Beirut in 2013.The Lebanese source said investigators would seek to determine "whether the cargo that departed from Georgia was genuinely destined for Mozambique or if its true destination was Beirut, and whether the ship had previously transported other shipments of ammonium nitrate".After it arrived in Lebanon, the Rhosus faced technical problems and security officials said it was impounded after a Lebanese company filed a lawsuit against its owner.Port authorities unloaded the ammonium nitrate and stored it in a run-down port warehouse with cracks in its walls, according to officials.The ship later sank in Beirut port in 2018.An investigation into the blast has been mired in legal and political wrangling.Judge Tarek Bitar resumed his investigation into the blast this year as Lebanon's balance of power shifted.This followed a war between Israel and Hezbollah that weakened the Iran-backed militant group, which had spearheaded a campaign for Bitar's resignation.Those questioned in the investigation include former Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab, as well as military and security officials.