tag

Sunday, February 22, 2026 | Daily Newspaper published by GPPC Doha, Qatar.

Tag Results for "killed" (90 articles)

Gulf Times
International

One killed, three injured in Russian airstrike on Ukraine’s Kherson

One person was killed, and three women were injured in Russian bombings on Monday night in the Ukrainian city of Kherson. Ukrainian news agency (Ukrinform) reported, citing Head of Kherson Oblast Military Administration Oleksandr Prokudin, that Russian forces shelled an area in ​​Kherson city, killing one person and wounding three women who were then taken to hospital. Ukrinform added that Russian forces launched more than 1,500 drones in the Kherson region over the past week, with Ukrainian forces destroying more than 77% of them. Since the start of the ongoing war on February 24, 2022, Russia and Ukraine have exchanged almost daily reports confirming that each side has advanced or repelled attacks by the other. This information has not been independently verified, given the circumstances of the ongoing war and fighting.

Gulf Times
International

Russia says 1,300 Ukrainian troops killed, 145 drones downed

Russia's Defense Ministry said Sunday that its forces had taken control of a town in eastern Ukraine and killed 1,300 Ukrainian soldiers, while also downing 145 drones. In a statement, the ministry said Russian troops had captured the town of Kuzminivka in the Donetsk region and targeted Ukrainian forces across 137 combat zones. The strikes reportedly destroyed dozens of armored vehicles, cars, artillery units, ammunition depots, and electronic warfare stations. Russian warplanes, drones, missile units, and artillery also targeted energy infrastructure supporting Ukraine's military-industrial complex, mobile equipment used to transport weapons by rail, fuel supply centers, and facilities for storing and launching long-range drones and missile platforms, the ministry added. Since the war began on Feb. 24, 2022, both Russia and Ukraine have issued near-daily reports claiming battlefield gains or repelling enemy attacks. These claims cannot be independently verified due to the ongoing conflict and restricted access to combat zones.

Gulf Times
International

3 Killed as severe storms sweep across Europe

Three people were killed as powerful storms swept across several European countries Sunday, causing widespread disruption to air, sea, and land transportation. The storm continued moving eastward from the British Isles toward France and Germany, amid warnings of strong winds and high tides.Local authorities in France announced the deaths of two people as a result of the effects of Storm Amy. The French Meteorological administration has raised the alert level to orange in six northern departments in anticipation of heavy winds and rain, noting that power was cut to approximately 5,000 houses in the Normandy region.Strong winds and heavy rain also caused one death, extensive damage, and power outages in Ireland.The severe weather conditions extended to the Netherlands, where authorities canceled approximately 80 arriving and 70 departing flights due to the bad weather.European meteorological centers expect the storm's effects to continue over the coming hours as it moves eastward toward the center of the continent, accompanied by strong winds and heavy rains. It is expected to gradually subside early next week.

Gulf Times
International

Five killed and eight injured in traffic accident in Central China

Five people were killed, and eight others injured in a traffic accident in central China. Xinhua News Agency, citing local police in Hubei Province, reported that a traffic accident occurred in Wangying Township, Lichuan City, killing five people and injuring eight others. Preliminary investigations indicate that none of the injured are in critical condition. In September of last year, six people were killed, and seven others were injured in a traffic accident in Zhuzhou City, Hunan Province in central China.

Gulf Times
International

Ukraine says Russian strikes kill one, Poland scrambles jets

Ukraine said on Sunday that a Russian attack on Zaporizhzhia had killed one person, as Poland said it had scrambled jets to secure its airspace. Ivan Fedorov, the head of the southeastern Ukrainian region, said on Telegram that a Russian "combined strike" had killed a woman and wounded nine other people.A 16-year-old girl was among those receiving "necessary assistance" from medical personnel after the attack, Fedorov said. He posted photos, seemingly from the site of the attack, showing a partly destroyed multi-storey block and a burnt-out car.A nationwide air alert was in place across Ukraine as of 4:09 am (0109 GMT). Poland's armed forces said on X that they had mobilised planes and put ground defences on high alert to secure the country's airspace, especially in areas close to Ukraine.The mayor of Lviv, a western Ukrainian city near the border with Poland, said public transport routes were not operating due to a "massive enemy attack". Public transport in Ivano-Frankivsk, another western city, would "start running later than usual" on Sunday, its mayor said.Russia has also stepped up its attacks on Ukraine's energy infrastructure as the weather chills. Fedorov said on Sunday that Russia's overnight attack left "more than 73,000 consumers... without electricity" in Zaporizhzhia, and the Lviv mayor said part of the city had no power.This week, Moscow launched its largest-ever strike on Ukraine's gas infrastructure, while strikes on Saturday cut off power to around 50,000 households in the northern Chernigiv region.

Gulf Times
Region

Several Palestinians killed in fresh intense Israeli airstrikes across Gaza

A number of Palestinians were killed as a result of violent airstrikes launched by the Israeli occupation forces on multiple areas in Gaza City over the past two hours, coinciding with intense drone flights over the city. Palestinian news agency (WAFA) reported local sources as saying that drones targeted a group of people in Al-Jalaa Street in central Gaza City, resulting in the killing of dozens of Palestinians and wounding others. These airstrikes come despite US President Donald Trump's earlier call on Israel to immediately stop its bombardment of Gaza. The call followed Hamas' announcement of its acceptance of President Trump's proposal to end the war in the Strip and its willingness to release all hostages as part of the exchange formula included in the proposal. Medical sources at Al-Shifa Hospital said that emergency and civil defense crews recovered the bodies of five slain Palestinians from under the rubble of a house that was targeted last night in the western part of Gaza City.

Gulf Times
Region

Six Palestinians, including children, killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza and Khan Yunis

Six Palestinians were killed and others injured on Saturday in Israeli airstrikes on different parts of the Gaza Strip. Medical sources reported that two children were killed, and eight others were injured after an Israeli drone bombed a tent housing displaced persons in Al Mawasi area, northwest of Khan Yunis. Meanwhile, Israeli artillery continued its intense shelling and gunfire from the north of Khan Yunis. Four people were killed as a result of Israeli shelling that targeted a house in Al Tuffah neighborhood, northeast of Gaza City, while others were injured in another Israeli drone that targeted a house in the same neighborhood. At the same time, Israeli occupation forces detonated two booby-trapped armored vehicles, destroying civilian homes in Al Sabra neighborhood, south of Gaza City. The death toll from the ongoing Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023, has risen to 66,225, in addition to the injury of 168,938 people.

Gulf Times
Region

Number of Palestinian journalists killed during Israeli aggression on Gaza Strip rises to 254

The number of Palestinian journalists killed during the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023, has risen to 254. In a statement on Wednesday, the government media office in Gaza said that the number of Palestinian journalists killed since the beginning of the Israeli war on the Strip has risen to 254, following the announcement of the martyrdom of journalists Sami Daoud and Yahya Mohammed Barzaq. The office called on the International Federation of Journalists, the Federation of Arab Journalists, and all journalistic organizations worldwide to condemn these "systematic crimes" against journalists and media professionals in the Gaza Strip. It also called for "serious and effective pressure" to halt the crime of genocide, protect journalists and media professionals in the Gaza Strip, and put an end to their killings and assassinations.

Gulf Times
International

26 Killed in boat capsize in Southern Nigeria

At least 26 people were killed when a boat capsized in the Niger River in Kogi State, southern Nigeria. Local sources reported that the accident occurred while the boat was carrying traders from Ibaji to a market in Ilushi, Edo State, when it capsized in the river. The death toll is expected to rise. Boat capsizing incidents in Nigeria are common due to overloading, poor maintenance, and failure to adhere to safety regulations. A similar incident occurred in early September in Niger State, resulting in the deaths of at least 32 people.

Gulf Times
International

4 Killed in Russian shelling of Ukraine

Four members of the same family, including two children, were killed in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Sumy Oblast, eastern Ukraine. Ukrainian news agency (Ukrinform) reported Tuesday that the attack occurred overnight in the village of Chernechchyna, located in the town of Krasnopillia. Reports issued by both countries regarding the progress of the Russian military operation in Ukraine, which has been ongoing since Feb. 24, 2022, conflict with regard to field data.

Gulf Times
Region

Tragic bus crash in Egypt’s Minya Governorate leaves eight dead and fourteen injured

Eight people were killed, and 14 others injured on Monday in a bus accident on the Eastern Desert Road in Beni Mazar, Minya Governorate, southern Egypt. Egypt's Ministry of Health and Population reported that 34 ambulances were dispatched to the scene, transporting the injured to hospitals. Minya Governorate has witnessed several similar accidents on desert roads in recent years.

Gulf Times
International

Vietnam reports 1 dead and 12 missing as Typhoon Bualoi hits

One person was killed, and 12 others were missing after Typhoon Bualoi made landfall in northern Vietnam early Monday, damaging houses and disrupting power grids. Vietnam's National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting reported that the typhoon moved along the country's coast for several hours before making landfall, causing waves up to eight meters high. State media reported that one person died after being caught in floodwaters in Hue City, while 12 fishermen went missing after strong waves sank four fishing boats off Quang Tri Province. Authorities evacuated more than 28,500 people, while hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed, with four airports closed in the central provinces.