tag

Saturday, February 21, 2026 | Daily Newspaper published by GPPC Doha, Qatar.

Tag Results for "Israel" (28 articles)

Gulf Times
Community

Israel attack on Qatar 'unjustifiable and strongly condemnable'

The recent attack by Israel on the State of Qatar is both unjustifiable and strongly condemnable. Qatar, a peace-loving nation, has consistently demonstrated its commitment to ensuring peaceful coexistence and stability across the world. “The country’s commendable efforts in resolving international disputes have been widely recognised and appreciated by the global community,” noted Dr Amanulla Vadakkangara, prominent Indian expatriate, writer, and CEO of Media Plus. This unfortunate incident occurred while Qatar was actively engaged in negotiations for a ceasefire in Gaza, in line with the recommendation of the President of the United States. At such a critical juncture, the attack underscores a blatant disregard for Qatar’s constructive role in promoting peace. Qatar’s stance against aggression remains exemplary. While affirming its legitimate right to defend itself, Qatar reiterates that it will pursue all available legal and diplomatic measures in response to this attack.This principled approach reflects the true hallmark of a civilized and cultured society, one that believes in resolving international disputes through lawful frameworks and diplomatic engagement rather than violence. “Particularly noteworthy is that Qatar has reaffirmed its unwavering commitment to peace, justice, and the rule of international law,” pointed out Amanulla, who has been a Qatar resident for the last 31 years.

The panelists at the discussion organised by the Middle East Council on Global Affairs. PICTURE: Shaji Kayamkulam.
Qatar

Middle East countries are going through 'extraordinary times'

The Gulf countries and the entire Middle East region are going through extraordinary times since the outbreak of open war between Iran and Israel in last June, noted several experts at a panel discussion.Organised by the Middle East Council on Global Affairs earlier this week, the discussion ‘ Rethinking Gulf Security Following the Iran- Israel War' brought four experts on the topic who delved deep into current developments and their implications. They felt that the outbreak of an open war between Iran and Israel in June has considerably intensified challenges to Gulf security.Sanam Vakil, director, Middle East and North Africa Programme, Chatham House said that the countries in the region are going through a period very much defined by geopolitical competition. She noted that there are a lot of questions about consistency in these countries' relationship with the United States and the reliability of US as a security partner.“Conflicts have doubled across the world, and we are, of course, seeing that in the region, but we don't have to look too far from the Middle East itself to see the devastating impact of a conflict. And multilateralism and the investment of the international community is not just stabilising conflicts. Settling conflicts is also proving to be ineffective. We see this very visibly in Gaza,” said Vakil.The panelists also noted that the region is confronting complicated questions including charting the future of Iran’s nuclear programme and Israel’s increasing incursions on Gaza, the West Bank, and the wider region.Hasan Alhasan, senior fellow for Middle East Policy, International Institute for Strategic Studies noted that Israel represents and presents an objective threat to the security of the Arab countries.“There are multiple reasons why that is the case. Most certainly, Israel started a war that I would be fairly confident in saying that probably most or at least perhaps all of the Gulf States did not want to be at war. I think Israel actually presents more of a direct threat because of the fact that it seems to have embraced the view of the region as an open battleground. This has direct security destabilising spillover effects for the Arab and the Gulf States,” explained Alhasan.The panel also noted that diplomatic efforts to revive a nuclear deal with Iran have been significantly undermined by the “12-day war.”According to Yasmine Farouk, director, Gulf and Arabian Peninsula Project, International Crisis Group, the picture is much more complex and difficult to manage. “It is very clear that there is a gap in how the US sees the conflicts and this conflict in this region and how the Gulf countries see them. The Gulf countries see the conflicts of the region as interconnected,” she pointed out.Shahram Akbarzadeh, nonresident senior fellow, Middle East Council said that there is a deep distrust, especially among the leadership of the international system, and how the United States manages to utilise the system to its full advantage. The session was moderated by Adel Abdel Ghafar, senior fellow, Foreign Policy Programme director, Middle East Council.

Smoke billows after an Israeli strike in Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip Sunday. AFP
Region

Israel pounds Gaza City suburbs, vows takeover

Israeli planes and tanks pounded the eastern and northern outskirts of Gaza City overnight Saturday to Sunday, destroying buildings and homes, residents said, as Israeli leaders vowed to press on with a planned offensive on the city.Witnesses reported the sound of explosions non-stop overnight in the areas of Zeitoun and Shejaia, while tanks shelled houses and roads in the nearby Sabra neighbourhood and several buildings were blown up in the northern town of Jabalia.Fire lit the skies from the direction of the explosions, causing panic, prompting some families to stream out of the city. Others said they would prefer to die and not leave.The Israeli military said Sunday that its forces have returned to combat in the Jabalia area in recent days, to dismantle tunnels and strengthen control of the area.It added that the operation there "enables the expansion of combat into additional areas and prevents Hamas from returning to operate in these areas."Israel approved a plan this month to seize control of Gaza City, describing it as the last bastion of Hamas. It is not expected to begin for a few weeks, leaving room for mediators Egypt and Qatar to try and resume ceasefire talks.Israel's Defence Minister Israel Katz Sunday vowed to press on with the offensive on the city where famine has been declared, which has raised alarm abroad and objections at home. Katz has said that Gaza City will be razed unless Hamas agrees to end the war on Israel's terms and release all hostages.Hamas said in a statement Sunday that Israel's plan to take over Gaza City showed it wasn't serious about a ceasefire.It said a ceasefire agreement was "the only way to return the hostages", holding Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responsible for their lives.The proposal on the table calls for a 60-day ceasefire and the release of 10 living hostages held in Gaza and of 18 bodies. In turn, Israel would release about 200 long-serving Palestinian prisoners held by Israel.Once a temporary ceasefire begins, the proposal is for Hamas and Israel to begin negotiations on a permanent ceasefire that would include the return of the remaining hostages.On Thursday, Netanyahu said that Israel would immediately resume negotiations for the release of all 50 hostages — of whom Israel believes around 20 are still living — and an end to the nearly two-year-old war but on terms acceptable to Israel.Around half of the enclave's two million people currently live in Gaza City. A few thousand have already left, carrying their belongings on vehicles and rickshaws."I stopped counting the times I had to take my wife and three daughters and leave my home in Gaza City," said Mohammad, 40, via a chat app. "No place is safe, but I can't take the risk. If they suddenly begin the invasion, they will use heavy fire."Others said they will not leave, no matter what."We are not leaving, let them bomb us at home," said Aya, 31, who has a family of eight, adding that they couldn't afford to buy a tent or pay for the transportation, even if they did try to leave. "We are hungry, afraid and don't have money."A global hunger monitor said on Friday that Gaza City and surrounding areas are officially suffering from famine that will likely spread. Israel has rejected the assessment and says it ignores steps it has taken since late July to increase aid.On Sunday, the Gaza health ministry said eight more people died of malnutrition and starvation in the enclave, raising deaths from such causes to 289 people, including 115 children, since the war started.

Palestinian men replant an olive tree uprooted by Israeli soldiers using a bulldozer in the occupied West Bank village of Al-Mughayyir, north of Ramallah, on Sunday. AFP
Region

Israel bulldozes olive trees to hit Palestinian economy

Israeli bulldozers uprooted hundreds of trees in the West Bank village of al-Mughayyir on Sunday in the presence of the Israeli military, according to AFP journalists who witnessed the scene.Most of the felled vegetation appeared to be olive trees, essential to the economy and culture of the West Bank, while olive groves have also long been a flashpoint for violent clashes between farmers and encroaching Israeli settlers.Abdelatif Mohammed Abu Aliya, a local farmer from the village near Ramallah, said he lost olive trees that were over 70 years old on about one hectare of land."They completely uprooted and levelled them under false pretences," he said, explaining he and other residents had already begun replanting the pulled-up trees.AFP photographers on the ground saw overturned soil, olive trees lying on the ground, and several bulldozers operating on the hills surrounding the village.One bulldozer had an Israeli flag, and Israeli military vehicles were parked nearby."The goal is control and forcing people to leave. This is just the beginning -- it will expand across the entire West Bank," said Ghassan Abu Aliya, who leads a local agricultural association.Residents said the bulldozing began on Thursday. A Palestinian NGO reported 14 people had been arrested in the village over the past three days.When asked about the incident, the Israeli army told AFP they were looking into the matter.On August 16, the Palestinian Authority reported that an 18-year-old man had been shot and killed by the Israeli army in the same village.Violence in the West Bank has escalated since the war in Gaza began following the October 7, 2023 Hamas attack on Israel.Since then, at least 971 Palestinians -- including both militants and civilians -- have been killed by Israeli soldiers or settlers in the West Bank, according to AFP figures based on Palestinian Authority data.The West Bank, occupied by Israel since 1967, is home to about three million Palestinians and 500,000 Israelis living in settlements that are considered illegal under international law.