tag

Monday, May 18, 2026 | Daily Newspaper published by GPPC Doha, Qatar.

Tag Results for "Bahrain" (16 articles)

His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani
Qatar

Amir, king of Bahrain discuss bilateral ties

His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani and King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa of the sisterly Kingdom of Bahrain discussed relations between the two brotherly countries and means to boost them in various areas of cooperation. This came during a phone call His Highness the Amir received Wednesday from Bahraini king. The discussion also touched on the key regional and international developments of joint interest.

Gulf Times
Sport

Bahrain, Abu Dhabi funds take full ownership of McLaren RACING

Bahrain’s Mumtalakat and Abu Dhabi’s CYVN Holdings took full ownership of McLaren Racing Tuesday in a deal some media reports said valued the reigning Formula One champions at more than $4bn.No financial details were given in a McLaren Group statement confirming the purchase of all shares held by MSP Sports Capital, funds managed by O’Connor Capital Solutions, Ares Sports, Media and Entertainment funds and Caspian Funds.Sky News earlier reported the sale of the 30% stake would value the team at more than £3bn ($4.05bn).Bahrain sovereign wealth fund Mumtalakat will remain the majority shareholder with CYVN, majority-owned by the government of Abu Dhabi, having a non-controlling stake.CYVN created McLaren Group Holdings last April after completing its acquisition of sportscar maker McLaren Automotive.McLaren Racing runs teams in Formula One, US-based IndyCars and will enter the World Endurance Championship from 2027.US-based investment group MSP and others took a significant minority stake in 2020, when McLaren were in need of funds during the Covid-19 pandemic.The deal, for a maximum 33% stake by 2022, valued the British racing outfit at £560mn at the time. Since then McLaren have emerged as a dominant force in the sport, winning the constructors’ title last year for the first time since 1998 and on course to win both titles this season.“Our suite of minority investors came on board in 2020 and we thank them for their tremendous support over the past few years as we set McLaren Racing on a path to commercial growth and financial stability,” said McLaren Group Executive Chairman Paul Walsh.He said the simplified ownership structure “strengthens our ability to future-proof the business and capture new growth opportunities.”MSP Sports Capital CEO Jeff Moorad and chairman Jahm Najafi will vacate their seats on the McLaren Racing board.Ares Management said in a statement the proceeds from the transaction “will be used to return capital to investors and further strengthen its position as an experienced investor across the sports ecosystem”.

Gulf Times
Sport

Qatar squad for two friendlies announced

Qatar coach Julen Lopetegui has announced the squad for the two friendly matches against Russia and Bahrain, as part of preparations for the fourth round of the Asian qualifiers for the 2026 FIFA World Cup which will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico.Qatar will face Bahrain on September 3 at Al Thumama Stadium, before taking on Russia on September 7 at Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium. These matches continue the team’s preparation programme, which started with an abroad training camp in Austria last July.The squad saw little change from the one announced by Lopetegui in early July, except for the absence of captain Hassan al-Haydos and striker Almoez Ali due to injury.The Spanish coach recalled several names, including Al Rayyan goalkeeper Mahmud Abunada, Al Duhail defender Sultan al-Braik, and Al Wakrah defender Almahdi Ali, while excluding goalkeepers Marwan Sharif and Shehab Ellethy.The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) had held the draw for the fourth round (continental playoff), which will be hosted in Doha, placing Qatar in Group A alongside the UAE and Oman.Qatar will begin its playoff campaign against Oman on October 8, before meeting the UAE on October 14, while Oman will face the UAE on October 11. Group B will be held in Saudi Arabia and includes the host nation along with Iraq and Indonesia.Qatar, the reigning two-time AFC Asian Cup champions, reached the playoff after finishing fourth in the third round with 13 points from 10 matches, behind Iran (23 points), Uzbekistan (21 points), and the UAE (15 points). Kyrgyzstan finished fifth with eight points, and North Korea sixth with three pointsQATAR SQUAD: Mahmoud Abunada, Meshaal Barsham, Salah Zakaria (goalkeepers), Abdulaziz Hatem, Ahmed al-Rawi, Ahmed Alaa, Ahmed al-Ganehi, Ahmed Fathy, Ahmed Suhail, Akram Afif, Almahdi Ali, Assim Madibo, Bassam al-Rawi, Boualem Khoukhi, Edmilson Junior, Guilherme Torres, Homam al-Amin, Ismail Mohammed, Jassim Jaber, Karim Boudiaf, Mohammed Mannai, Mohamed Khalid, Mohammed Muntari, Pedro Miguel, Sultan al-Brake, Tarek Salman.Meanwhile Bahrain head coach Dragan Talajic has called up under-17 player Hussain Zuhair and Al Ahli Club’s Sayed Mahdi Sharaf in the squad.Zuhair and Sharaf join a formidable Bahrain roster that already includes Mohammed Jassim Marhoon, Mohammed al-Rumaihi, Amine Benaddi, Waleed al-Hayyam, Abdulla al-Khalasi, Ahmed Dhiya, Sayed Mahmoud al-Mosawi, Ahmed Bughammar, Hamad Shamsan, Sayed Mahdi Baqer, Sayed Dhiya Saeed, Hussain al-Eker, Vincent Emmanuel, Hazza Ali, Hussain Jameel, Mahdi Humaidan, Ali Madan, Ahmed al-Sherooqi, Omar Saber, Jassim al-Shaikh, Komail al-Aswad, Abdulla al-Subaie, Hussain Abdulkarim, Mahdi Abduljabbar, Ebrahim al-Khattal, and goalkeepers Ebrahim Luthfallah, Mohammed al-Gharably, Abdulkarim al-Fardan and Yousef Habib.Bahrain will also play a friendly against the United Arab Emirates on September 8.

Gulf Times
Region

Iran war and the cascading fallout

The economic shock from the Iran war is no longer hypothetical. What the United Nations Development Programme modelled as a four-week disruption has already been overtaken by events, with the conflict now stretching into a fifth week and signalling that the projected $120bn to $194bn loss in Arab economic output may prove conservative.  When UNDP released its assessment on 31 March, it warned that even a short, contained escalation would shrink regional GDP by 3.7 to 6.0%, erase up to 3.64mn jobs, raise unemployment by as much as four percentage points, and push between 3.05mn and 3.96mn people into poverty. That scenario assumed temporary trade disruption, limited infrastructure damage and manageable energy shocks. None of those conditions now hold. The conflict has since expanded geographically and operationally, with sustained exchanges involving Iran and spillovers across the Levant and Gulf. Strategic assets, including energy and petrochemical infrastructure, have come under repeated pressure, while rising tensions around the Strait of Hormuz, through which roughly a fifth of global oil flows, have heightened market volatility. These developments align closely with UNDP's most severe scenario, which anticipated extreme trade disruption and hydrocarbon supply shocks.  That assessment is borne out by the data. Iran's strike on Qatar's Ras Laffan natural gas terminal wiped out 17% of the country's LNG export capacity, with repairs expected to take up to five years, according to state-owned QatarEnergy. The blow extends well beyond Qatar's balance sheet. Gita Gopinath, the former chief economist at the International Monetary Fund, has written that global economic growth, expected before the war to reach 3.3% this year, could fall by 0.3 to 0.4 percentage points if oil prices average $85 a barrel through 2026. Carmen Reinhart, a former World Bank chief economist now at Harvard Kennedy School, has warned that the conflict is "raising the risk of higher inflation and lower growth," reviving uncomfortable parallels with the stagflationary oil shocks of the 1970s.Nowhere are the risks more concentrated than in the Gulf. UNDP had projected that the GCC economies, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, could see GDP contract by 5.2 to 8.5%, translating into losses of $103bn to $168bn. Oxford Economics has since downgraded aggregate GCC real GDP growth for 2026 by 4.6 percentage points from its pre-war forecast to minus 0.2%, reflecting reduced oil production, exports, tourism and domestic demand. Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain and the UAE face the most severe downgrades, given their inability to reroute hydrocarbon exports, which means production will need to shut down once storage facilities reach capacity.  A Goldman Sachs economist forecast that if the war continues through the end of April it could shrink Gulf states’ GDP substantially. With energy infrastructure increasingly exposed and shipping routes under strain, the UNDP's upper-bound figures are now edging into view, if not beyond. The bloc could also lose up to 3.11mn jobs, with human development setbacks equivalent to one to two years of progress. In the Levant, where fragility was already entrenched, the impact is sharper still. GDP losses of up to 8.7% are now paired with a disproportionate surge in poverty, accounting for more than 75% of the region's projected increase in deprivation. The war's human toll, including displacement, disruption to education and healthcare, and damage to civilian systems, has compounded the economic shock, reinforcing UNDP's warning of a measurable decline in human development indicators. Inside Iran itself, the erosion is equally stark. UNDP estimates the country's human development index could fall by 0.47 to 0.56 percentage points, effectively wiping out one to one-and-a-half years of progress. With low-income households spending nearly 45% of their income on food, inflation and supply disruptions are rapidly translating into real hardship, particularly for informal workers and small businesses. The World Trade Organisation has said that if oil and gas prices remain elevated for the rest of the year, forecasted 2026 global GDP growth could be reduced by 0.3 per cent. Europe, as a heavy energy importer, could see growth fall by at least one percentage point below previous expectations. Beyond the immediate theatre, the fallout is rippling outward with particular severity through agricultural markets. The Gulf accounts for roughly a third of global urea exports and a quarter of ammonia, with up to 40% of world nitrogen fertiliser exports passing through the Strait of Hormuz. With that passage now blocked, urea prices are up 50% since the war began and ammonia prices have risen 20%. The downstream consequences for food security are acute. The countries of the Gulf region, home to more than 60mn people, are almost entirely import-dependent across staple food categories, meaning any sustained disruption to supply chains will rapidly translate into food shocks. Oxford Economics has modelled a scenario in which prolonged disruption tips the world into outright contraction, with world GDP falling in the middle of the year, calendar-year growth for 2026 slowing to 1.4% and global inflation reaching 7.7%, close to the 2022 peak. Unlike 2022, when the global economy continued to expand through the price shock, the severity of this disruption could tip the world into recession, which Oxford's analysts describe as the worst synchronised downturn in 40 years outside the pandemic and the global financial crisis. Taken together, these developments point to a fundamental shift in the nature of the crisis. What began as a geopolitical confrontation is now manifesting as a multi-layered development shock, affecting growth, employment, poverty and long-term human welfare simultaneously. The longer the conflict persists, the more it entrenches structural damage across interconnected systems, from energy markets to food security. UNDP's original warning was stark: even a brief war could reverse years of progress. Five weeks on, the trajectory suggests something deeper. The economic and human setback now under way is likely to exceed initial projections, with consequences that will endure well beyond the battlefield.