Palestinian man, 80, found dead after being held in raid
January 13 2022 01:57 AM
Men stand next to a poster of Palestinian Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad, 80, in Jiljilya village in the occ
Men stand next to a poster of Palestinian Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad, 80, in Jiljilya village in the occupied West Bank, yesterday.

Reuters Jiljilya /West Bank

An 80-year-old Palestinian man, described by his family as a US citizen, was found dead after being detained and handcuffed during an Israeli raid on a village in the occupied West Bank, Palestinian officials and relatives said yesterday.
The body of Omar Abdalmajeed As’ad was found in Jiljilya in the early hours of the morning with a plastic zip-tie still around one wrist, villagers told Reuters.
The Israeli military confirmed that it had carried out an overnight operation in the village, and that a Palestinian was “apprehended after resisting a check”. It said he was alive when the soldiers released him.
“The Military Police Criminal Investigation Division is reviewing the incident, at the end of which the findings will be transferred to the Military General Advocate Corps,” it said in a statement.
As’ad’s brother told Reuters As’ad was an American citizen, a former Milwaukee, Wisconsin resident, who had lived in the United States for decades and returned 10 years ago.
The US embassy declined to comment.
As’ad’s family delayed the funeral until today to allow a post-mortem.
Islam Abu Zaher, a local doctor who said he had tried to resuscitate As’ad but found no pulse, said there were no obvious signs of injury and the cause of death was unclear.
“It is possible that he suffered a heart attack or some form of panic,” Abu Zaher told Reuters, noting that As’ad had previously undergone open heart surgery and cardiac catheterisation. “We would need to perform an autopsy.”
Jiljilya village council head Fouad Qattoum said As’ad was returning home after visiting relatives when Israeli soldiers stopped his car, bound him, blindfolded him and led him away to a building still under construction.
Another villager said he saw Israeli soldiers walking As’ad away around 3am. As’ad’s body was found more than an hour later, according to vegetable seller Mamdouh Elaboud, who said he was himself detained for 20 minutes, then released.
“After the soldiers were gone, we noticed someone on the ground,” Elaboud, 55, told Reuters. “He was lying face down on the ground and when we turned him over we found an elderly man with no sign of life.”
In a post on Facebook page, Palestinian Prime Minister Mohamed Shtayyeh blamed Israeli forces for the man’s death, calling it a “crime”. Israeli military spokesman Lt Col Amnon Shefler said the military “will investigate this event in a thorough and professional manner, acting in line with our values and protocols.”

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*