Crackdown on Covid-19 violations as 901 referred to prosecution
May 15 2021 10:27 PM
RELATED STORIES
Crackdown on Covid-19 violations as 901 referred to prosecution
Crackdown on Covid-19 violations as 901 referred to prosecution

The designated authorities took action against a large number of violators as they referred 901 people to the prosecution for flouting the preventive and precautionary measures enforced by the country to contain the spread of Covid-19, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said on Saturday.

Among them, 559 people were referred to the prosecution for not wearing masks in places where they are mandatory, 164 for not maintaining safe physical distancing and 158 for gathering at parks and on the Corniche.

Also, seven persons were referred to the prosecution for not installing the Ehteraz app, and 13 people for violating the vehicle occupancy rule, which stipulates that a maximum of four persons -- including the driver -- are allowed in a vehicle except when the occupants are members of the same family.

The measure is in line with the Cabinet decision, Decree Law No 17 of 1990 on infectious diseases, and the precautionary measures in force in the country to contain the spread of Covid-19.

The designated authorities have called on the public to adhere to the precautionary measures in place to ensure their safety and that of others.

The authorities concerned, including the MoI and the Government Communications Office (GCO), as well as senior health officials in Qatar had urged people in the country to celebrate Eid al-Fitr by following all Covid-19 precautionary measures in order to curb the spread of the virus.

"Indoor social gatherings continue to be prohibited while a maximum of five fully vaccinated people are allowed to gather outdoors," the GCO had said in a video advisory ahead of Eid.

Dr Abdullatif al-Khal, chair of the National Strategic Group on Covid-19 and head of the Infectious Diseases Division at Hamad Medical Corporation, had earlier called on everyone to adhere to the precautionary measures even after receiving the vaccination until most of the country's population gets the vaccine, warning that the implementation of these precautions will be more necessary in the coming days, especially during Eid al-Fitr. He also stressed the need to follow the precautionary measures and avoid visits in line with the restrictions in place.

In a video message posted on the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH)'s Twitter page, Sheikh Dr Mohamed bin Hamad al-Thani, director of the MoPH's Public Health Department, reminded the public to follow all precautionary measures. "Social distancing should be maintained, wear masks and keep the hands clean. Also, maintain social distancing during the Eid prayer and while wishing each other."

He also reminded the public of the Cabinet decision regarding gatherings at home and majlises as well as in open places. "The National Vaccination Programme is continuing and we hope it will help us return to a normal life," he added.

The MoI has been issuing a series of health advisories on social media. "Avoid social gatherings and visits in closes places such as homes and majlises. A maximum of five people who have received Covid19 vaccine doses are allowed in open spaces therein," it said in one of the advisories.

On its part, the MoPH reminded the public that the date of implementation and duration of each phase of the lifting of restrictions will depend on the epidemic indicators, which rely to a great extent on the degree of compliance of community members with the current measures, restrictions and guidance by the government.

"With a potential spike post-Eid a distinct possibility, the first phase of the lifting of restrictions is planned to start on May 28 - this will allow sufficient time to analyse the data and determine the impact of Eid," the ministry said.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore