Natanz nuclear site hit by terrorism, says Iran
April 12 2021 12:33 AM
RELATED STORIES
The Natanz nuclear facility in Iran lost power on Sunday.  It houses centrifuges used for uranium en
The Natanz nuclear facility in Iran lost power on Sunday. It houses centrifuges used for uranium enrichment. (Reuters)

Reuters/ Dubai

An incident at Iran’s Natanz nuclear facility yesterday was caused by an act of “nuclear terrorism”, the country’s nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi said, according to state TV, adding that Tehran reserves the right to take action against the perpetrators.
Israel’s Kan public radio cited intelligence sources, whose nationality it did not disclose, as saying that Israel’s Mossad spy agency had carried out a cyberattack at the site.
Earlier yesterday, the spokesman for Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation (AEOI) had said that a problem with the electrical distribution grid of the Natanz site had caused an incident, Iranian media reported.
The spokesman, Behrouz Kamalvandi, said the incident caused no casualties or contamination. The facility, located in the desert in the central province of Isfahan, is the centrepiece of Iran’s uranium enrichment programme and is monitored by inspectors of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog.
“While condemning this despicable move, Iran emphasises the need for the international community and the International Atomic Energy Agency to deal with this nuclear terrorism and reserves the right to take action against the perpetrators,” Salehi said. He did not elaborate.
Israel, which has accused Iran of seeking to build nuclear weapons that could be used against it, made no official comment on the incident.
It took place a day after Tehran, which has denied it seeks atomic arms, launched new advanced enrichment centrifuges at Natanz.
Asked about what had occurred, an IAEA spokesman said by e-mail: “We are aware of the media reports. We have no comment at this stage.”
Kan Radio, citing the intelligence sources, said the damage at Natanz was more extensive than had been reported in Iran.
 In July last year, a fire broke out at the facility, which Iran said was an attempt to sabotage the country’s nuclear programme.
In 2010, the Stuxnet computer virus, widely believed to have been developed by the US and Israel, was discovered after it was used to attack Natanz.
The incident at the Natanz facility comes amid efforts by Tehran and Washington to revive Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with major powers after former US president Donald Trump abandoned it three years ago.
Trump reimposed sanctions that had been lifted on the Islamic Republic under the deal, and brought in many more.
The two nations laid out tough stances at indirect talks in Vienna last week on how to bring both back into full compliance with the deal.
“The action taken against the Natanz site shows the failure of the opposition to Iran’s industrial and political progress to prevent the significant development of Iran’s nuclear industry,” Salehi said.
“To thwart the goals of those who commanded this terrorist act...Iran will continue to improve its nuclear technology on the one hand and to lift oppressive US sanctions on the other hand,” he said.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore