* Annual Marchitecture programme celebrates Qatar’s architecture and urban design.
Qatar Museums has announced the planned events and activities for this year’s Marchitecture, an annual month held in collaboration with The Architects’ Hub Qatar that invites Culture Pass members to explore Qatar’s striking architecture through tours and workshops during the month of March. In line with current restrictions to limit the spread of Covid-19, spaces are extremely limited and are offered on a first come, first served basis.
Qatar Museums’ Culture Pass members can look forward to tailored virtual talks and tours centred on local architecture to highlight the importance and symbolism of Qatar’s urban design. The programming is dedicated to architecture in Qatar showcasing present-day design elements and the notable growth in its architectural landscape, creating a unique built environment in the fabric of the city where the old and new retain equal importance.
Aisha al-Khater, Deputy CEO of Museum Affairs at Qatar Museums, said, “This year, we are excited to offer our valued Culture Pass members the opportunity to explore Qatar’s modern architecture as part of our annual Marchitecture programme dedicated to urban design. Qatar’s unique built environment boasts both old and modern design elements that stand in stark contrast making for a striking architectural landscape and city.”
Marchitecture programming includes the following in-person tours and online events:
1. A Face-to-Face Design Tour on Saturday 6 March at 11 am exploring antiquity in architecture – a personal museum of treasures – led by Dr Mousallam Sakka Amini, an architect and professor in Islamic architecture. Professor Amini is the owner of a vast collection of unique antiques, each with a story to tell and includes rare items ranging from books, collector items, interior décor accessories, landscape treasures and more. This collection is truly one of the hidden gems in Qatar. This is a museum of antiques.
2. On March 10 at 7 pm, architect Eduardo Gaitan will stage a Virtual Hub Talk on Reinventing Cities. The discussion forms part of The Architects’ Hub Qatar’s signature talks that aim to harness the design and architectural wisdom of the crowd. Gaitan will talk in-depth about the humanisation of public space as the driver of urban sustainability.
3. The Face-to-Face Design Tour taking place at 3pm on Monday, March 15 will explore the Alwadi Hotel, Doha McGallery Hotel Collection at Downtown Msheireb. The MGallery brand is one the AH brands which represents a collection of high-end hotels all around the world. MG is a collection of 5* premium boutique hotels that provide a unique experience inspired by the local essence with the Alwadi Hotel, Doha McGallery Hotel Collection boasting contemporary style blended with the history of Qatar.
4. A Face-to-Face Tour of W Doha Hotel & Residences at 10 am on Tuesday, March 16 will reveal the unexpected. Offering spectacular views of the crystal blue waters of the Arabian Gulf and set against a breath-taking exotic desert landscape, W Doha Hotel & Residences is located in the heart of Doha, where majesty meets metropolitan style, art meets science, history meets haute couture and nature meets nightlife.
5. Custom Design – The Process will be the focus of the Virtual Hub Talk on Wednesday, 17 March at 7 pm. Architects Jelena and Kostas of KJ Group will be sharing their own experiences on the process of realising a project to exactly suit your specific needs and expectations. They will be showcasing some design case studies.
6. A Face-to-Face Design Tour of Msheireb Downtown Doha on March 27 at 5:30 am offers a walking tour through selected architectural spaces and routes at Msheireb to observe and talk about the design experience. It is an architectural experience as well as a chance to engage with peers and talk about the various aspects of Msheireb that make it unique.
7. On March 30 at 4 pm, Culture Pass Members can take part in the Face-to-Face Design Tour On the Architecture of Taste at Port Arabia, Tower 4, The Pearl. Dinara Kasko, an architect and pastry artist from Ukraine will lead the tour during which participants have the chance to see the unique application of architecture in pastry and to enjoy the taste of art.
Omeima Ismaiel, Director of The Architects’ Hub Qatar, said, “We are thrilled to be a part of Marchitecture 2021 and look forward with great enthusiasm to a month of exciting events, both virtual and face-to-face, on and around the creative realm of architecture.”
All events and tours are open to all Culture Pass Members. Priority is given to Culture Pass Plus and Culture Pass Family members.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
QRCS constructs district sewage system in southern Gaza
Qatar Monday reports 468 new Covid-19 cases, 298 recoveries
EAA awards 59 students with Dynamic Futures Qatar Scholarship
Qatargas completes NFB Living Quarters Expansion Project
Amir receives verbal message from Custodian of Two Holy Mosques
QU researchers aim to restore threatened coral reef
368 face prosecution for Covid violations
Temperature rise in coming days, hot Friday forecast
Home quarantine for 'kids' of vaccinated parents