Lebanese firefighters yesterday put out a blaze at Beirut port that brought back the trauma of last month’s deadly dockside explosion and destroyed badly needed food aid.
Fire crews hosed down the last smouldering embers of the fire that swept through already damaged warehouses on Thursday, AFP correspondents reported.
But popular anger at the authorities’ failure to provide public safety, even in the heart of the capital, was rekindled by the new blaze.
The fire broke out on Thursday afternoon as workers were carrying out repair work on some of the warehouses still standing after last month’s explosion.
Sparks from a power saw being used in the repairs were the likely cause of the blaze, according to the government’s preliminary findings.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said one of the warehouses contained precious food aid for tens of thousands of needy families in Lebanon and in neighbouring Syria.
It said it had been working on moving the supplies out of the damaged warehouse ever since the August 4 blast but the operation had still been ongoing when the fire hit.
“Due to the rubble present and the danger involved, it is not possible to confirm the level of loss incurred at this time,” an ICRC statement said.
“The explosion and the fire will no doubt have an impact on the ICRC’s humanitarian aid whether in Lebanon or Syria.”
The August 4 explosion of hundreds of tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser, which had been left unsupervised in a port warehouse for years, reignited anti-government protests which had died down in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.
The army said late yesterday it had located chemical substances in another warehouse, and had transported them away to “where they would not be a danger to public health and safety”.
Last week the army said it had removed and destroyed more than four tonnes of ammonium nitrate found there, and a judicial source has said three current and former custom officials are being prosecuted in the case.
Earlier yesterday, earthmovers were again at work clearing rubble from the port through which the vast majority of Lebanon’s food and other imports used to pass.
“The fire is very weak. There’s just one area we’re still dealing with. It’s nothing,” said George Abou Moussa, operations director of Lebanon’s civil defence agency.
The sight of a vast pall of smoke billowing over the port district on Thursday, barely a month after the colossal blast killed more than 190 people and ravaged tens of thousands of homes, sent terrified residents running onto the streets.
“What happened yesterday was a repetition of August 4,” said Antoine Assaad, who lives in the capital’s heavily damaged Mar Mikhael neighbourhood.
“People were terrified. They were running into each other in their hurry to escape.”
Last month’s blast heaped new misery on Lebanese already battling the country’s worst economic crisis in decades, which has seen poverty rates double to more than half the population.
Criminology researcher Omar Nashabe asked how fire could erupt in an area that should have been a protected crime scene.
“Where is the judiciary? Where is the state? Where is responsibility?” he asked.
The Lebanese presidency has said that 15,000 tonnes of rubble have been cleared inside the port area since the August 4 explosion.
The government resigned after last month’s explosion, but President Michel Aoun remains in office alongside his new prime minister designate Moustapha Adib.
Aoun said Thursday’s fire could have been an “intentional act of sabotage, the result of a technical error, ignorance, or negligence”.
Adib called for those responsible to face the full force of the law.
BCC Logistics, the company responsible for managing the warehouse used by the ICRC, denied any responsibility and called for a full investigation.
Lebanon has launched a probe into last month’s blast, one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions ever, and arrested 25 suspects so far.
Among them are top port and customs officials, as well as Syrian workers who allegedly carried out welding hours before the explosion.
Lebanon has rejected an international investigation, but its probe is being aided by foreign experts.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Turkey has right to act if militants not cleared from Syria border: Erdogan
Lebanon blast victims register nearly 700 legal complaints
Syria rebels retaliate after deadly Russia strike
Iran reports Covid-19 death every four minutes, extends curbs
Russia strikes kill 78 rebels in Syria: monitor
Kuwait reports 682 new cases of Covid-19, three deaths
Palestinian dies after confrontation with troops
Protesters revive year-old revolt against system in Iraq
Khamenei urges penalties for Covid-19 offenders