The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) yesterday received the department of personnel and training’s (DoPT) notification to initiate a probe into actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death, officials said.
“The agency has received the notification from the government,” a CBI spokesperson said.
Earlier in the day, the DoPT issued a notification paving the way for the CBI to register a case.
In a related development, the Centre told the Supreme Court it had accepted the Bihar government’s recommendation for a CBI probe into the case.
On Tuesday, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had sought a CBI probe into the death of the actor on June 14 at his Bandra apartment in Mumbai, on the request of Sushant Singh’s father K K Singh.
On Singh’s complaint, the Bihar Police also registered a case against Sushant’s girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty on July 25.
Sushant’s father had lodged charges against Rhea in Patna, accusing her of cheating and threatening his son.
Sushant’s family has also accused her of keeping him away from his family.
The enforcement directorate (ED) has initiated a money laundering probe on the basis of the Patna Police’s chargesheet.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court observed it was unfortunate that a gifted artist like Sushant had died in unusual circumstances and the truth in the matter should come out.
Justice Hrishikesh Roy, hearing the arguments on a plea by Rhea seeking transfer of the case from Patna to Mumbai, said “a very unfortunate incident has taken place”.
“A gifted and talented artiste has passed away in circumstances which are unusual. Now, the circumstances in which this death took place needs to be inquired into,” justice Roy observed.
The judge also added that it needs to be investigated whether there was any criminality involved in the matter.
“Everybody has an opinion in the matter, we need to proceed according to the law,” added justice Roy.
Rhea’s counsel asked the top court to grant her interim protection. Senior advocate Vikas Singh, appearing for Sushant’s father, opposed the plea.
Singh argued that evidence was being tampered with, and now, after the Centre has informed the court about the CBI inquiry into the matter then her petition does not survive.
“It is in everyone’s interest that the truth should be revealed,” observed justice Roy, who also pulled up the Maharashtra government for quarantining for 14 days a Bihar Police officer, who was specially deputed to Mumbai to lead a team of four into the probe.
“It doesn’t send out a good message. He was there to do his job. You must do everything in a professional manner. Protect all evidence,” said the judge.
The Maharashtra government counsel insisted that there has been no destruction of evidence in the case.
The matter has been posted for further hearing next week.
Meanwhile, Shweta Singh Kirti has expressed her happiness that the CBI has finally been allowed to investigate the death of her brother.
“CBI It Is!!” wrote Shweta on Instagram. Along with her post, she also shared the snapshot of a news channel screen flashing the information.
Sushant’s ex-girlfriend, actress Ankita Lokhande, too expressed her happiness about the Centre agreeing to a CBI inquiry into Sushant’s death.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
President, PM lead tributes as legendary singer dies
Rail and road traffic hit as farmers protest new bills
Famed Indian singer SP Balasubrahmanyam succumbs to Covid-19
Indian farmers block roads, railways as protests mount over farm bills
Nationwide shutdown today against farm bills
Deepika to face NCB in drugs case today
Rains clobber Mumbai; rail, road traffic crippled
Police step up security as farmers plan protest rallies
Bollywood star Deepika summoned by NCB in drugs probe