Alarmed over surging Covid-19 cases, the Karnataka government has decided to divide the city into containment zones to curb the spread of the pandemic, a state minister said yesterday.
“The city will be divided into red, orange and yellow zones commensurate with the number of Covid cases in them for containing the virus spread on a war footing,” Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister J C Madhuswamy told reporters here.
Cabinet ministers representing assembly segments in the city will be incharge of the zones to ensure the cases are curbed with strict enforcement of lockdown guidelines, especially wearing mask and maintaining social distancing by the people in the confinement areas.
“Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa has convened a meeting of ministers, MLAs, MPs and corporators of all the 198 civic wards across the city today to discuss and draw an action plan to contain the pandemic,” Madhuswamy revealed.
With 1,148 positive cases, the city’s Covid tally rose to 12,509 and active cases to 10,103, while 2,228 were discharged, including 418 on Wednesday, while 177 succumbed to the infection since March 9, with 23 in the last 24 hours.
“The chief minister has ordered the deployment of more ambulances in the containment areas where cases have been spiking daily in an effort to rush Covid patients to the nearest hospital for immediate treatment,” said Madhuswamy.
The city civic corporation — Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) -has increased the containment zones to 3,181 due to the rise in cases, with southern and western suburbs accounting for the most infections.
“The containment zones are concentrated more in the city’s southern and western suburbs. Active cases doubled over the last eight days and shot up to a whopping 12,509 from 4,555 on June 30,” an official said.
Refuting graft charges by opposition Congress leader Siddaramaiah in the purchase of medical equipment for treatment of Covid patients, Madhuswamy said the state government had not spent more than Rs6bn so far.
“We are running a government. Not a private office. We will give account. He (Siddaramaiah) is welcome to check the accounts and verify the documents,” asserted the minister.
In a related development, the cabinet also approved an ordinance to increase the state contingency fund to Rs5bn from Rs800mn for the Covid-19 induced economic relief measures announced by the chief minister in June.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Section 144 imposed in riot-hit Bengaluru
BJP to move no-trust motion against Gehlot
Police patrol Bengaluru streets after violent clashes
Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with cancer
Kamala is very caring and kind to people, says aunt
Covid cases have not yet peaked, says AIIMS chief
Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt 'diagnosed with cancer'
Pilots want DGCA chief sacked after Air India Express crash
PM urges states to ramp up testing to beat coronavirus