The Secretary-General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres called for conducting a comprehensive and transparent investigation after finding mass graves in Libya, expressing deep shock at the discovery of those graves, mostly located in Tarhuna, west of Libya, which was recently recaptured from forces commanded by retired General Khalifa Haftar.
The United Nations Mission in Libya said on Thursday that it was terrified by reports of the discovery of mass graves in the city of Tarhuna.
The National Commission for Human Rights in Libya accused Haftar's forces of digging these mass graves after the extrajudicial killing of civilians and war prisoners in Tarhuna.
‘The secretary-general once again reminds all parties to the conflict in Libya of their obligations under international humanitarian law and international human rights law,’ UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
The Libyan Government of National Accord recently announced that the Ministry of Justice has formed a committee to investigate the discovery of mass graves, but it has not revealed the number of bodies found so far. (QNA)