An endangered Asian elephant died on Friday after being electrocuted by a low-hanging high-voltage wire in southeastern Bangladesh, officials said.
The adult male elephant was crossing private property in the early hours when its tusk touched the 10,000-volt cable, local councillor Rashed Mahamud Ali said.
"People rushed to the place when they heard the screaming of the elephant at around 3:00 am," he told AFP.
This area of Bangladesh, especially in the Cox's Bazar district, has for generations been used by elephants as a migratory route for travelling back and forth from Myanmar.
"We must take up some major strategies to stop the conflicts between these beautiful giants and people," said Anwarul Islam from conservation group Wildteam.
"Otherwise it will only add more casualties on both sides," he said.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
2 arrested in Bangladesh for criticising new bridge
Thousands of Rohingya in Bangladesh rally to ‘go home’
Thousands of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh rally to 'go home'
25 dead, four million stranded in Bangladesh floods
'Gone in front of my eyes': Bangladesh firefighter's unit decimated by blast
Bangladesh depot accused over blast that killed at least 49
Ash covers towns after Philippines volcano erupts
Bangladesh port depot fire kills 49, injures more than 300
Bangladesh port depot fire kills 49, injures 300