Elephant electrocuted in Bangladesh
June 12 2020 05:47 PM
Locals gather around the body of an elephant allegedly died by electricity wires in Teknaf
Locals gather around the body of an elephant allegedly died by electricity wires in Teknaf

AFP/Dhaka

An endangered Asian elephant died on Friday after being electrocuted by a low-hanging high-voltage wire in southeastern Bangladesh, officials said.
The adult male elephant was crossing private property in the early hours when its tusk touched the 10,000-volt cable, local councillor Rashed Mahamud Ali said.
"People rushed to the place when they heard the screaming of the elephant at around 3:00 am," he told AFP.
This area of Bangladesh, especially in the Cox's Bazar district, has for generations been used by elephants as a migratory route for travelling back and forth from Myanmar.
"We must take up some major strategies to stop the conflicts between these beautiful giants and people," said Anwarul Islam from conservation group Wildteam.
"Otherwise it will only add more casualties on both sides," he said.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore