....These THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won’t let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 29, 2020
The official White House Twitter account also later sent out the same message. Twitter declined to comment on whether it would be taking the same action on the new tweet.
A Twitter spokeswoman said CEO Jack Dorsey had been informed of the decision to tag Trump's tweet before the label was applied. The decision was based on a policy introduced in June, 2019, which the company said it had applied previously, pointing to a tweet by a Brazilian cabinet member in April this year.
Trump issued his tweet amid days of unrest in Minneapolis, which was engulfed in a third night of arson, looting and vandalism as protesters vented their rage over Floyd's death.
Trump has condemned the killing of Floyd and promised justice. Four police officers involved in Floyd's death have been fired and the FBI is investigating.
Floyd's death was one of several killings of black people in the United States in recent months that has provoked outrage. The Minneapolis night sky was lit up with flame from a police precinct that had been torched overnight.
In the morning, riot police in gas masks arrested a CNN crew on live TV, leading them away in handcuffs from streets that resembled a war zone. More than an hour later, the crew was released.
Protests took place in other US cities including Louisville, Kentucky, where police said seven people were shot. Protesters there vented rage over the police killing of Breonna Taylor, a black woman shot in her apartment in March.
Twitter said it acted over the Trump tweet "in the interest of preventing others from being inspired to commit violent acts". People will still "be able to retweet with comment, but will not be able to like, reply or retweet it".
Facebook did not remove President Trump's same post from its site, where it had 34,000 shares. A company spokesman declined to comment on whether the post violated its rules about content that incites or threatens violence.
Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, in TV interviews aired on Thursday, took pains to distance his company, which also exempts politicians from its third-party fact-checking program, from Trump's dispute with Twitter.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
US warns Russia of ‘catastrophic consequences’ if it uses N-weapons
CIA’s in-house museum adds new spy exhibits
Pharoah Sanders, cosmic jazz saxophonist, dead at 81
NASA scraps Tuesday Moon launch due to storm
Covid raises risk of long-term brain injury, large US study finds
Blinken seeks action on Putin at UN showdown on Ukraine
US, Russian cosmonauts blast off for ISS mission
Biden remarks on support for Taiwan anger China
Antiguans mull cutting ties with British monarchy