Majority of Covid-19 intensive care patients in 40 - 59 age group
May 15 2020 10:41 PM
An interior view of the newly opened general field hospital in the Industrial Area. PICTURE: Shemeer
An interior view of the newly opened general field hospital in the Industrial Area. PICTURE: Shemeer Rasheed

The age group between 40 to 49 years constitutes 32% of the Covid-19 cases that receive intensive care in Qatar, said Dr Abdullatif al-Khal, chair of the National Pandemic Preparedness Committee and head of Infectious Diseases at Hamad Medical Corporation.
“This is followed by the age group between 50 to 59 years, which represents 22%, while the age group 30 to 39 years represents 21% of the cases that need intensive care, he told a press conference on Thursday.
Dr al-Khal reported that 40% of those receiving treatment in intensive care currently need artificial respiration, while the rest receive intensive treatment without the need for a ventilator.
___________________________________

More healthcare facilities to be opened

Qatar has plans to establish more healthcare facilities similar to the recently opened Industrial Area and Libsear hospitals to support the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, Dr Abdullatif al-Khal said.
The advantage of the Industrial Area Hospital is that it aids the early detection of infected cases among expatriate labourers as well as placing them under health isolation or treatment until recovery.
Medical care is provided with a high degree of efficiency that includes emergency cases in addition to specialised clinics catering to all workers in the area.
The Industrial Area Hospital has 200 beds for cases that need attention for a period ranging between one to several hours before transferring them to other hospitals as required.
All these services are provided free of charge, thanks to the Ministry of Public Health, the senior official added.
The Libsear military field hospital located near Al Sheehaniya- Dukhan Road, has bath-attached 504 single rooms for male patients who need more time to fully recover from Covid-19.

___________________________________

“Those who require extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) in the event of total lung failure, is 4% of the total cases in intensive care,” he explained.
There were 82 cases admitted to the intensive care during the period from May 7 to 13, Dr al-Khal, at the rate of between 11 and 15 per day. Most of these cases were already in the hospitals, and only a few come to the hospital with advanced condition of the disease and required to be admitted to intensive care.
A total of 417 cases entered intensive care since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in Qatar, 265 of them recovered, and 14 died, while 138 people are still in intensive care, 55 of them on ventilators, and six on ECMO.
The majority of the Covid-19 cases were among those in the 25-34 age group, constituting 36.7%, followed by the 35-44 age group (29.8%), while the rest is for other age groups, including children and the elderly.
Dr al-Khal mentioned that the number of those who recovered from Covid-19 during the past week reached 1,100. Recovery is confirmed through two tests on two consecutive days and after ten days following the disappearance of the symptoms.
The percentage of mild cases in Qatar is still at 94%. Out of the remaining 6% with severe infection, 5% percent are hospitalised and need oxygen treatment and medicine, and 1% of those are in intensive care.
The senior official pointed out that there has been an increase in the number of cases during the past seven days to exceed 1,000 cases every day, as the infection in the country is at the beginning of the peak.
There is a steady increase in the number of daily tests, which reflects the large increase in the capacity of the central laboratories, as the number of tests reached more than 7,400 samples per day, with an increase expected in the number of examinations during the next two weeks.
In response to a question about the increase in the recovery rates in the recent period, Dr al-Khal said he expected the numbers to go up further as many of those tested Covid-19 positive have completed between ten days and three weeks and approaching recovery.
He urged everyone with Covid-19 symptoms to report quickly to the emergency if the situation gets worse, or call 16000 or go to the nearby health centre in case the symptoms are mild.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore