By Reem Abdulrahman Jassim al-Muftah
Immunity, immunity, immunity. Immunity is your greatest form of defence when it comes to fighting illnesses and viruses, and in our case today, the infectious disease of Covid-19. Overall health and well-being is so important and humans take it for granted. If you didn’t already get your lifestyle under control and implemented a healthy and balanced lifestyle before the current world outbreak, then I hope this is a wakeup call for all those of you who haven’t transformed your lifestyle for the better.
Here are some ways to boost your immunity in general:
1. Reduce your stress – stress greatly effects and weakens your immune system.
2. Sleep well – sleeps decreases stress and improves your immunity.
3. Eat clean and natural food – adopt a well balanced diet with pure foods and less man made products that cause inflammation and lower your immunity.
4. Take your vitamins – if you are not eating enough high nutrient foods, you will probably need to take supplements to ensure you are getting enough of your body’s daily requirements.
5. Exercise daily – boost your immunity by keeping active and getting your body to move (simultaneously reducing stress).
6. Stay away from toxins – do not be around environmental pollution and do not pollute your body with unnecessary food toxins, additives and preservatives either.
During these times, remember that your mental health is as critical as your physical. You have to try to keep positive and remain calm although we all know that it is easier said than done. Our minds play a critical role when it comes to our body’s health and we cannot ignore that; good mental health promotes good physical health and good physical health promotes good mental health. Along with keeping a healthy mind, work on your breathing. Breathing can significantly reduce your stress and can help with mental distress. Sit or lie down, relax and focus on your chest and diaphragm and breathe in through your nose and out with your mouth. While you are focusing on your breathing, try to start focusing on positive and good vibes to increase the effect of this mental detoxing.
As mentioned above, when it comes to your physical health and immunity, your diet and daily activity are two of the most important factors involved. While at home, it is very tempting and easy to order-in all the time and to eat all the time as well. Make sure to be aware of your eating habits and to not indulge too much. Try to get fresh fruit, vegetables, good carbs and lean protein everyday and take advantage of this time and situation to restart your lifestyle in a healthy manner. Be positive and look at the bright side, you can even start cooking your own food at home and learn to cater to your needs but with full control of what you are putting into your system (clean and natural foods). It is also a perfect time to be a good role model for your children and to show them how to eat immunity-boosting foods and how to incorporate them into your daily diet.
So when we talk about keeping your physical health on point, let me share with you some easy ways to take advantage of your time at home and to work on your physical strength and improving your overall immunity with only bodyweight:
1. While working from home, get up every 30 minutes and take a 5 minute walk around your home.
2. When you are watching TV, crank out some sit ups or push ups during commercials or breaks.
3. As you do your house chores like doing the dishes, add in some squats and lunges.
4. While cooking, get into the mood even more by playing some music and dance to burn off some extra calories; get the good vibes going.
5. If you have stairs at home, do not forget to use them to your advantage and get your heart and blood moving.
6. Stretch, stretch and stretch; relax and oxygenate your muscles by stretching in the morning, during the day and before your sleep.
In conclusion, I urge you all to stay on top of your physical and mental health during these hard times and I wish you all good health.
The author is a wellness advocate and influencer @keys2balance.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
What’s your Why?
Ways to improve your home working routine - I
Children, school and masks
The relationship between Vegan and Mindfulness
Simplifying can be simple
Training for half marathon
How safe are masks?