Government air strikes have hit hospitals and refugee camps in northwest Syria and killed about 300 civilians as President Bashar al-Assad’s forces press an assault against the last rebel stronghold, the United Nations said yesterday.
UN officials said relief agencies were overwhelmed by the humanitarian crisis as nearly 1mn civilians, most of them women and children, had fled towards the Turkish border in bitter winter conditions to escape the onslaught.
“Civilians fleeing the fighting are being squeezed into areas without safe shelter that are shrinking in size by the hour. And still they are bombed.
They simply have nowhere to go,” UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said.
Syrian and Russian warplanes meanwhile kept up raids on the town of Darat Izza in Aleppo province yesterday, witnesses said, a day after two hospitals there were badly damaged.
At Al Kinana Hospital, blown-out walls and dust-covered medical cables and supplies were strewn about the hospital after two staff were wounded on Monday, witnesses said.
Ankara said talks with Moscow on Idlib were “not satisfactory” and Turkey would deploy more troops to the region.
Turkish and Russian officials held a second day of talks in Moscow with no apparent agreement on Idlib, where the latest push by Russian-backed Syrian government forces has killed several Turkish troops.
Russia said both sides restated their commitment to existing agreements aimed at reducing tension in Idlib.
A statement did not mention Turkey’s demand for Syrian government forces to pull back.
Turkey says it cannot cope with a new refugee influx in addition to the 3.6mn Syrian refugees already stranded inside its borders.
Appearing on national television on Monday, Assad said the rapid military gains presaged the eventual defeat of the nine-year-old insurgency against him although it could still take time.
The rebel factions include Turkish-backed rebels.
UN human rights spokesman Rupert Colville, asked if Syria and Russia were deliberately targeting civilians and protected buildings, said: “The sheer quantity of attacks on hospitals, medical facilities, and schools would suggest they cannot all be accidental.”
The attacks could constitute war crimes, Colville told a briefing in Geneva.
The UN human rights office said it had recorded 299 civilian deaths since Jan 1, about 93% caused by the Syrian government and its allies.
The swift advance of government troops, backed by Russian air strikes, through northwest Syria has caused the biggest displacement of the war as people flee towards a shrinking pocket near the Turkish frontier where insurgents hold their last strongholds. A UN spokesman, David Swanson, said close to 900,000 people have fled conflict zones in Idlib province and western Aleppo since December, more than 80% of them women and children.
Many have been unable to find shelter and are sleeping outside in freezing temperatures, burning plastic to stay warm and at risk of disease and death.
“Only half of all the health facilities in northwest are still functioning now,” Swanson said.
Hurras Network, a Save the Children partner in Idlib, said seven children including a seven-month-old baby had died from freezing temperatures and bleak conditions in displaced persons camps.
About 525,000 children are among those trapped, the UN Children’s Fund (Unicef) said.
The Syrian army said on Monday it had taken full control of dozens of towns in the Aleppo countryside.
The M5 highway linking Damascus to Aleppo, the focus of recent fighting, was re-opened to civilian traffic yesterday after government forces recaptured it last week, the Syrian Observatory war monitoring group reported.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Moroccans join ‘informal economy’ as job market shrinks
Several hurt in Syria attack on joint patrol
Russia says joint patrol with Turkey struck by bomb in Syria
Virus resurgence ‘truly tragic’, says Khamenei
Yemen's Houthis agree to give UN access to abandoned tanker: sources
Mali PM pledges to quickly form an ‘open’ government
Israelis protest against govt response to coronavirus
Rouhani says cannot shut down economy despite worsening Covid-19 outbreak
GLE makes striking addition to the Mercedes-Benz lineup