Deal of the century is unacceptable and unjust: Malaysian PM
February 08 2020 01:23 PM
Mahathir Mohamad
Mahathir Mohamad

QNA/Kuala Lumpur

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad underlined that the ‘deal of the century’ announced by US President Donald Trump is ‘utterly unacceptable’ and ‘grossly unjust.’

The proposed US peace plan hands the holy city of Jerusalem on a silver platter to Israel in absolute disregard for the feelings of millions of Muslims and Christians worldwide, Mahathir said in a speech at the third conference of The League of Parliamentarians for Al-Quds in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

‘This deal will only bring more conflict to the region, and will antagonise billions of people around the world,’ Mahathir said.

Malaysia had on Jan. 31, condemned the proposed peace deal announced by Trump, saying it was one-sided and favored the Israeli government.

The Prime Ministers Office said the proposal was unacceptable and unfair to the Palestinians.

Mahathir reiterated the criticism adding that the peace plan ‘acknowledges only the powerful occupier while completely ignoring the rights of the oppressed’.

The deal, he said, will never result in a sovereign Palestinian state, but will only further the domination of an apartheid-like occupation over millions of Palestinians.

Trump unveiled his proposal at a White House event last month alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Palestinian officials were not consulted on the proposal. The White House approach leading to the plan has long been criticised internationally for providing Israel with quick wins while making concessions to the Palestinians contingent on a list of milestones. (QNA)




There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore