Congress to hold ‘save India’ rally on November 30
November 17 2019 12:33 AM
RELATED STORIES
.
Congress workers stage a demonstration against the Bharatiya Janata Party in Kolkata yesterday. The main opposition party said yesterday it would hold a mega rally against the anti-people policies of the BJP government in New Delhi on November 30.

IANS/ New Delhi

The Congress yesterday accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government of leading the country towards starvation, and said the main opposition party it will hold a mega rally in the national capital on November 30 against the anti-people policies of the administration.
Speaking to reporters after a meeting of the party leaders, Congress general secretary K C Venugopal said: “We have decided to hold a mega rally against the anti-people policies of the government to highlight the people-oriented issues against the central government.” He said the party will hold a “Bharat Bachao” (save India) rally on November 30 at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan as the people were suffering.
According to party leaders, the rally will be addressed by the party’s interim chief Sonia Gandhi, former party president Rahul Gandhi and general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
Slamming the government on the issues of economic slowdown, agrarian distress and unemployment, Venugopal said: “We also discussed the leakage of NSSO (National Sample Survey Office) report and food items and everything, it is very shocking. There is a perception in the country that this government is leading to a starvation like situation due to its bad policies.” 
Venugopal said that during the meeting, the party leaders discussed the economic slowdown, farmers stress and huge unemployment.
Earlier, the Congress slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party over a minister’s statement rejecting the opposition’s charge of economic slowdown and said the ruling party was insulting the people without knowing the reality of the country.
The Congress’ remarks came a day after minister Suresh Angadi dismissed the opposition’s criticism over the state of economy, asserting that “airports and trains are full and people are getting married” and this indicates that the country’s economy is “doing fine”.
Congress spokesman Randeep Singh Surjewala said: “BJP ministers have lost their mind and they are insulting the people.” 
The Congress leader that on one hand, the demand for bread and other essential commodities have fallen and people do not have money to eat. “And on the other hand, the arrogant ministers of BJP are insulting people by saying that the marriages are going on. Do they want to stop marriages?” 
Slamming the BJP, the Congress leader said: “Is this the arrogance of BJP that is speaking? ...and they are unable to see the miseries of the people and they are unable to see the reality at grass root level.” 
Surjewala said the rural economy has fallen by 9% and even in urban areas, the demands of cereals and pulses have fallen by 15% and edible oil by 10%.
He said even the latest data on import and export shows a sharp drop.
“The BJP should look at the mirror of reality,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Congress refused to comment on the Young India tax files saying the matter was sub-judice and said truth will prevail as the company is a not-for-profit organisation.
“What is sub-judice need not be commented upon,” Surjewala said.
“But I can assure you that the majesty of law will prevail and the truth will come out in the open as Young India is a not-for-profit company and neither (Narendra) Modiji and nor his cronies can change this inalienable truth,” Surjewala said.
Surjewala was responding to a question after an Income Tax tribunal rejected former Congress president Rahul Gandhi’s application to make Young India a charitable trust.
On Friday, the Income Tax Appellate Tribunal said Young India was a commercial organisation. With the rejection, the income tax case of Rs100 crore against Gandhi will open again.
Last year, the Gandhi, his mother Sonia and senior Congress leader Oscar Fernandes filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging a decision of the Delhi High Court which had rejected their application for the reassessment of their income tax for 2011-12 in connection with the National Herald case.
The top court had then allowed them to approach the tribunal for a swift hearing of the appeal.
The I-T department began an inquiry after a complaint was filed by senior BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy before a trial court in connection with the National Herald case. Currently, the Gandhis and Fernandes are out on bail.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS