At least five people died after two buildings - one
residential and the other under construction - collapsed in India's
southern city of Bengaluru on Wednesday, police said.
Eight people were pulled alive from the debris of the buildings in the area of Pulakeshinagar as the rescue and relief operations were under way.
"The three-storey residential building, in which five to six families lived, collapsed apparently after earth at its foundations shrunk. The adjoining under-construction apartment also crashed soon after," an officer at the police control room said. Among the victims was a 3-year-old girl, police said.
The rescued had been moved to nearby hospitals for treatment. Police, firefighters and personnel from the disaster response force were carrying out operations at the site as some more people were believed to be trapped.
The foundation and construction of both buildings were not in accordance with norms, Bengaluru mayor Gangambike Mallikarjun said, according to local media. City officials will demolish both buildings and take action against the builders and architects, Mallikarjun added.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
India’s push for home-grown navigation system jolts mobile firms
India teacher accused of killing student over spelling mistake
Lightning strikes kill 11 people in Eastern India
India welcomes back cheetahs, 7 decades after local extinction
Now is not an era of war, Modi tells Putin
Nine dead after wall collapse in northern India
India unveils first homemade aircraft carrier, with eye on China
India demolishes illegal 100-metre 'twin towers' outside Delhi
India may import wheat in blow to Modi’s goal to feed world