Aistrikes on Syrian rebel-held areas in Idlib on
Thursday hit a hospital that is funded by the German Foreign Office,
the co-founder and country director of the foundation running the
facility told dpa.
"The hospital in Kafr Nabl is ... an underground hospital since it was hit previously, which left the part above the ground totally destroyed," said Fadi Dairi, of the British foundation Hand-in-Hand, which runs the facility.
The Kafr Nabl surgical hospital, known as Orient Hospital, is located in the southern countryside of Idlib. He said the hospital was hit first by three barrel bombs and then a rock hit its entrance, which was badly damaged. Dairi said there were no casualties among its staff members.
The targeted hospital is 1,800 square metres in size with three operating rooms, according to Dairi. Hand-in-Hand, founded in 2011, works on health, water, sanitation, food security and livelihood. It runs eight health facilities inside Syria. Since late April, the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, supported by Russian air power, started a massive campaign against rebels in the provinces of Hama and Idlib, the last major opposition stronghold in the country.
Syrian government planes have targeted schools, hospitals and civilian residential areas. Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human rights, told dpa that since April around 20 health centres and hospitals have been hit in the countryside of Idlib.
Earlier, at least three civilians, including a child, were killed in a series of airstrikes on Idlib by the Syrian government and Russia, a key ally of al-Assad. The observatory said government warplanes had carried out at least 15 strikes on Idlib, in north-western Syria. Allied Russian jets also mounted air raids in the southern part of Idlib, according to the watchdog.
The White Helmets rescue teams told dpa that the strikes killed two civilians in the Idlib town of Khan Sheihkoun and a child in the area of Jabal al-Zawiya in southern Idlib. Ahmed Sheikho, the head of White Helmets in Idlib, said widely banned cluster bombs were used in the bombardment. The escalation has claimed more than 500 civilian lives and displaced more than 300,000 people, according to the observatory.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
US sanctions two officials from Lebanon's Hezbollah
US drone strike kills 17 militants in NW Syria
Hariri named as Lebanon's new prime minister
Lebanon launches new quest for PM
Lebanon’s exit from crisis hinges on new PM: Aoun
Kuwait’s Amir appeals for national unity ahead of elections
Omani Ministry of Health: Total covid-19 cases reach 111033
Kuwait calls for pressuring Israel stop settlement activities
Top Palestinian official Erekat critical from virus