Shops reopen as Sudan protesters agree to talks
June 13 2019 12:53 AM
Sudanese vendors sell vegetables in the central market of Khartoum.


Shops and restaurants began to reopen in Sudan’s capital yesterday after demonstrators called off a nationwide civil disobedience campaign and agreed to new talks, though many residents remained indoors after last week’s deadly crackdown.
The apparent breakthrough in the standoff between the military rulers who toppled veteran leader Omar al-Bashir and protesters demanding civilian rule followed mediation led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
Diplomatic efforts to resolve the crisis — triggered by a June 3 crackdown on protesters that killed dozens — got a boost as Washington nominated experienced Africa hand Donald Booth as a special envoy to Sudan to help craft a “peaceful political solution” between the generals and protesters.
This came after an Ethiopian envoy sent by Abiy announced on Tuesday that the protest leaders and the ruling military council had agreed to resume talks and that a three-day civil disobedience campaign was ending.
Negotiations collapsed last month because the two sides disagreed about whether a civilian or soldier should head a new governing body.
Yesterday morning an AFP correspondent who toured parts of the capital saw buses waiting for passengers at their stations, while shops in some districts re-opened.
Later in the day several restaurants reopened and street vendors came back to work.
But the main gold market in central Khartoum remained shut, and many residents stayed indoors.
“I’m still staying at my home because I’m worried about the presence of security forces carrying guns on the streets,” said Samar Bashir, an employee of a private company.
The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces — accused of playing a leading role in last week’s crackdown — continued to patrol districts in their trademark pickup trucks fitted with heavy machine guns.
Other residents said that they stayed at home because Internet services — heavily cut in recent days — were still not fully restored, making office work difficult.
Street sweepers cleared piles of trash, while long queues at bank cash points returned across the capital and other towns.
“I went to the bank with a cheque and they said there’s no money. It seems all the money is just finished,” Faisal Suleiman said as he stepped out of a bank in Khartoum.
Sudan has been led by a military council since the generals ousted Bashir on April 11 after months of nationwide protests against his three decade rule.
After Bashir’s fall, protesters remained encamped outside military headquarters in Khartoum for weeks to demand civilian rule, until security and paramilitary forces moved in to disperse them on Monday last week.
Around 120 people have been killed since the crackdown began, according to doctors close to the protesters.
The health ministry has acknowledged 61 people died nationwide.
The protest movement had initially threatened to pile more pressure on the generals by publishing a list of proposed members of a new ruling body — the key point of dispute between the two sides — before backing down.
“The Alliance for Freedom and Change agreed to end the civil disobedience (campaign) from today,” Mahmoud Drir, an Ethiopian diplomat who mediated talks on behalf of Abiy, told reporters on Tuesday.
“Both sides have also agreed to resume talks soon.”
The protest movement called on its supporters to resume work from yesterday.
The generals have not yet commented on this development.
The UN Security Council on Tuesday urged all sides “to continue working together towards a consensual solution to the current crisis” and voiced support for African-led diplomatic efforts.
It also called for an immediate halt to attacks against civilians and stressed the importance of upholding human rights — a week after Russia and China blocked a similar draft statement on the crisis.
Washington meanwhile nominated Booth as a special envoy to Sudan.
Booth was already in Khartoum travelling with US Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Tibor Nagy.
The two are expected to hold several meetings with the generals and protest leaders, and also intend to visit Addis Ababa to discuss the Sudan crisis with Ethiopian leaders and the African Union.
The African Union suspended Sudan’s membership on Thursday.
Yesterday, the Sudanese foreign ministry summoned British ambassador to Khartoum, Irfan Siddiq, for airing what it said were his “unbalanced positions” on Twitter regarding developments in Sudan, state media reported.

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*