Iran urged the United States yesterday to address the Islamic Republic with respect, not threats of war, a day after US President Donald Trump stoked concerns about a potential US-Iran conflict.
But in a sign of brewing confrontation a year after Washington quit world powers’ 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and reimposed sanctions on it, Tehran announced a fourfold increase in its rate of production of low-grade uranium enrichment.
On Sunday, Trump tweeted: “If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran. Never threaten the United States again!”
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohamed Javad Zarif replied on his twitter account “NeverThreatenAnIranian.
Try respect-it works!”
Zarif actually praised Trump for earlier remarks seen as cautioning hawks in his administration who were encouraging conflict.
The president “rightly deplores ‘military-industrial complex’ pushing US#ForeverWars,” Zarif wrote on Twitter.
But he said Trump had allowed a “B-team” of aides led by National Security Advisor John Bolton to “trash diplomacy”.
Trump has tightened economic sanctions against Iran, and his administration says it has built up the US military presence in the region.
It accuses Iran of posing threats to US troops and interests.
Tehran has denied this, describing US moves as “psychological warfare” and a “political game”. Britain told Iran yesterday not to underestimate the resolve of the United States, warning that if American interests were attacked then the Trump administration would retaliate.
The foreign minister of Oman, a Gulf Arab state that in the past helped pave the way for negotiations between Iran and the United States, visited Tehran yesterday.
Yousuf bin Alawi bin Abdullah addressed regional and international issues with Zarif, Iranian state news agency IRNA said, without elaborating.
Quoting an official at the Natanz enrichment plant, the semi-official Tasnim said Iran was accelerating the rate of production at which it refines uranium to 3.67% fissile purity, suitable for civilian nuclear power generation.
The move came two weeks after Iran, acting after Trump reimposed sanctions aimed at blocking all Iranian oil exports to cripple its economy, declared it would scale back some commitments under the accord it signed with six world powers.
Under the 2015 deal, the Islamic Republic was allowed to stockpile a maximum of 300kg of low-enriched uranium, and ship any excess out of the country for storage or sale.
Iran said this month that cap no longer applied in response to the unilateral US withdrawal from the deal.
Trump has condemned the accord, signed by his predecessor Barack Obama, as flawed for not being permanent and for not covering Iran’s ballistic missile programme and role in conflicts around the Middle East.
Behrouz Kamalvandi, spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran, told Tasnim that the UN
atomic watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), had been notified about the move to step up the production rate of low-enriched uranium fourfold.
“It won’t be long until we pass the 300-kg limit of low enriched uranium. So it’s better for the other side to do what it’s necessary to be done,” Kamalvandi said, alluding to steps by other powers to shield Iran’s economy from US sanctions.
He said the acceleration of Iran’s centrifuge enrichment machines remained within the bounds of the nuclear deal, and Tehran had no intention to exit the accord. It was not clear how far Iran’s current stock of low-enriched uranium was from the 300-kg limit.
Under the deal Iran may enrich uranium to 3.67% purity — far below the 90% of weapons grade, and also below the 20% level to which Iran refined uranium before the deal.
Iran has threatened that in 60 days it would resume enrichment beyond the 3.67% level unless remaining signatories of the deal — Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany — find a way to safeguard its vital oil and banking sectors.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iran coronavirus death toll tops 2,500: ministry
Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Khashoggi murder
15 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Oman
Iran rejects virus aid offer from US as cases soar
Kuwait, Oman tighten curbs as more infections recorded
Iran rejects Trump's virus aid offer as toll jumps to 1,685
First Gaza coronavirus cases confirmed, new curbs in West Bank
Jordan detains 227 for violating virus curfew
Flying roses: Drone fetes Lebanon mothers despite coronavirus