AFP/Kananga, DR Congo
Forty-five prisoners, all former militia fighters, have been transferred from a prison in southern DR Congo after a series of spectacular jailbreaks, officials said Saturday.
The transfers of 28 convicted inmates and 17 awaiting trial came days after the escape of suspects in the murder of two UN experts.
The prisoners are all members of the Kamwina Nsapu militia, which clashed with government forces between September 2016 and October 2017. The fighting cost 3,000 lives, according to UN estimates.
The inmates were transferred on Friday from Kananga in Kasai-Central province near the border with the Angola, Edouard Ntumba Buabua, the mayor of Kananga.
The 17 prisoners still to be tried were flown to Ndolo, the main prison in the capital Kinshasa, said Vincent Kayembe, a local justice ministry official.
Twenty-eight convicted prisoners were taken to the top-security prison at Angenga, in the northwest province of Equateur, a local journalist told AFP.
The transfer came after a series of daring escapes from Kananga prison last week.
On Thursday, military prosecutors said four suspects in the March 2017 killing of two UN experts were among those who had managed to flee.
Zaida Catalan, a 36-year-old Swedish-Chilean national, and American Michael Sharp, 34 were killed in Kasai in 2017 while investigating mass graves in the region.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
South African police arrest 55 people on first day of lockdown
South Africa struggles to adapt to lockdown
SA cases exceed 900, Ramaphosa calls for G20 aid
Nigerian army prepares for coronavirus lockdown, mass burials
South Africa prepares quarantine sites as coronavirus cases rise to 709
Islamic State claims Mozambique attack close to gas projects
Afro-jazz star Dibango dies after contracting coronavirus
SA braces for lockdown as virus cases spike to 554
South Africa braces for lockdown as coronavirus cases spike to 554