Afghan Vice President General Abdul Rasheed Dostum escaped three ambushes by Taliban militants on his way to his home village late on Saturday, officials said.
The militants targeted Dostum's convoy with rockets and other heavy weapons in three separate areas along the Balkh-Jawzjan highway in the northern Jawzjan province, killing one of his special bodyguards and wounding another two, his aides said on Sunday.
Dostum had earlier confirmed reports of Taliban ambush plans but had nevertheless refused to go by air, according to his close aides Aziz Ahmad Begi and Bashir Ahmad Tayanj.
The vice president already survived an IS-claimed suicide bombing in 2018 in the capital Kabul, where 23 people were killed and 107 another wounded.
Before the Saturday incident, Dostum had requested government permission for an operation to drive back the Taliban in the northern provinces, during his first visit to the country's northern parts in more than two years.
Dostum said that if the government gives him six months, he would be able to secure at least 16 northern provinces. The visit comes as Taliban militants have intensified attacks in northern provinces despite ongoing talks with US envoys.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
At least seven killed in Kabul car bomb blast
Afghanistan to swap Taliban militants for American, Australian captives
Afghan poll results may be delayed again as candidates spar over recount
Roadside bomb kills five schoolchildren in Afghanistan
No Syria-type pullout planned for Afghanistan: Pentagon chief
At least 62 killed in Afghan mosque blast
Three killed, dozens children wounded in Taliban truck blast
At least 30 civilians died in May US strikes in Afghanistan: UN probe
Deadly violence rocks Afghanistan as campaign season ends