The UN human rights chief warned yesterday that children in Yemen continued to be killed and maimed at an alarming rate, despite a three-month-old truce in a vital port.
“Since the Stockholm agreement on December 13, it is estimated that eight children have been killed or injured in Yemen every day,” Michelle Bachelet told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva.
Yemen’s beleaguered Saudi-backed government and Houthi rebels agreed in Sweden on a truce that included a ceasefire in Hodeidah, the lifeline port on the Red Sea.
But Bachelet said children were currently living in 31 active conflict zones across the country, and witnessing “heavy, war-related violence”, including in Taiz, Hajjah and Saada.
The Norwegian Refugee Council said earlier this week that 348 civilians had been killed in Hajjah and Taiz alone since the Stockholm accord was signed.
The UN rights chief voiced particular concern at the recent escalation in the northern province of Hajjah, where 22 people — 12 children and 10 women — were killed, and another 30, nearly half of them children, were hurt in strikes earlier this month.
An estimated 10,000 people have been killed since March 2015, when Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates — with the logistical and political backing of the United States — unleashed air power against the Houthi rebels.
Rights groups say the death toll could be far higher. Save the Children has estimated that 85,000 Yemenis under five years old may have died of starvation.
Bachelet said it was unclear how many children had starved to death in Yemen but warned that “Yemeni civilians, including children, are now more vulnerable and hungrier than at any time since March 2015”.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
More than 151,000 people benefit from Qatar Charity's campaign against virus
Aspetar launches coronavirus resource platform for athletes
New restrictions on visitors to hospitals
'Exercise to stay fit during work-from-home'
Chloroquine looks promising to treat Covid-19, says expert
UN reps praise Qatar for Covid-19 measures, free med exam without discrimination
Upgraded road, intersection open at Al Rayyan area
MoI deploys all resources to fight Covid-19
228 new Covid-19 cases in Qatar, 8 recover Monday