Nepal's government has banned a radical Maoist
party that carried out a series of bomb attacks in the capital
Kathmandu, a minister said Wednesday.
The announcement was made after the government's efforts to hold talks with the party failed. One person was killed and two others injured last month when the Communist Party of Nepal, led by a former Maoist guerrilla, detonated a bomb outside the office of a telecoms company in Kathmandu.
The party, which splintered from the ruling Maoists five years ago, also set off a bomb at the residence of a businessman in Kathmandu over the weekend. Two people were injured in the blast.
"It's the state's responsibility to control such activities. So we have decided to ban them," Foreign Minister Pradeep Gyawali told local media on Wednesday.
Police also suspect the radical party of responsibility for a blast outside municipal offices in the south-central town of Bharatpur late Tuesday. Maoist rebels fought an armed insurgency against state security forces between 1996 and 2006 that killed more than 16,000 people. A peace accord was signed in November 2006.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Nepal PM leaves for Singapore for health check-up
Nepal searches for more child abuse victims of arrested Australian
Death toll in Nepal floods rises to 55, thousands displaced
Death toll in Nepal floods climbs to 30
Heavy monsoon rains kill at least 17 in Nepal
Nepal strives to convert Everest trash into treasure
Thousands protest against Nepal bill
Nepal activists rally to call for end of animal sacrifice
Nepal picks up four bodies, 11 tonnes of garbage in Everest clean-up