An Italian Senate committee voted yesterday to block an investigation into accusations of kidnapping against Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini over his decision to hold 150 migrants on board a ship for five days in August last year.
The committee voted 16 to six to stop the investigation into Salvini, who is also interior minister and the leader of the hard-right League party which rules in a coalition with the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement (M5S).
The case has sown division within the government and in particular within the M5S, which has built its support on pledges to bring transparency to Italian politics and has harshly criticised past parliamentary manoeuvring to halt judicial proceedings against lawmakers.
Prosecutors in Sicily have sought permission to investigate Salvini for abuse of power and kidnapping over the case of migrants held on board the Diciotti coast guard ship.
When Salvini took office in June of last year, he blocked humanitarian ships carrying rescued migrants from Italy’s ports and said he would allow migrants on shore only if other European partners agreed to take them.
In the case of the Diciotti, migrants rescued at sea were allowed to disembark when Albania and Ireland offered to accept some of them and Italy’s Catholic Church agreed to take responsibility for the rest at no cost to the taxpayer.
The M5S leader Luigi Di Maio held an online ballot of the movement’s core supporters on Monday, and 59% voted to protect Salvini.
The movement’s senators on the Elections and Immunity Committee said that they would honour the online vote.
“We have provided the guarantee for this government to keep working,” Mario Michele Giarrusso, a M5S senator who sits on the committee, said after the vote.
Opposition lawmakers from the Democratic Party (PD) protested loudly in the courtyard outside the committee room, holding up signs that read “shame” and chanting one of the M5S mottos: “Honesty, honesty, honesty!”
Salvini said that he asked for parliamentary immunity because his decision to block the migrants was in the best interest of the country and was taken together with his allies.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and the M5S have backed this position.
The committee ruling precedes a full vote on the floor of the upper house, which is due to be held by the end of March.
Some M5S lawmakers have indicated that they want to see the legal probe continue, but the full senate is unlikely to reverse the committee decision because centre-right opposition parties have said that they will vote in favour of the interior minister’s immunity.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Royal baby Archie awaited in S Africa for first official trip
Labour wrestles with Brexit, election plans
PM heads to UN with Brexit seen to dominate agenda
Activists get down and dirty on mass clean-up
Anarchists join climate rally, triggering clashes
Strong earthquake hits Albania, damage reported
Malta murdered journalist's family fume over inquiry board composition
Suspected TWA hijacker arrested in Greece more than 30 years later
Malta takes some migrants from Ocean Viking, but leaves others onboard