In the worst ever terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir since militancy erupted in 1989, a suicide bomber yesterday rammed a vehicle packed with explosives into a CRPF bus on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Pulwama district, killing at least 42 troopers and leaving the security establishment stunned.
The Jaish-e-Mohamed (JeM) owned responsibility for the horror and released a video clip of the suicide bomber, a ‘commander’ identified as Adil Ahmad Dar, which it claimed was shot before the man carried out the strike in Lethpora, about 30km from here.
While precise details of the attack were still unclear, police sources said the suicide bomber-driven SUV came along the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) bus when a 78-vehicle convoy carrying 2,547 security personnel was going from the transit camp in Jammu to Srinagar and rammed it into the bus around 3.15pm, triggering a deafening explosion.
So devastating was the attack – one report spoke of 200kg of explosives, including probably RDX, packed into the SUV – that the CRPF bus was left in a mangled heap, many of its occupants losing their limbs. The bus was transporting 39 troopers.
CRPF officials said the bus which was the main target of the militants was destroyed fully while another CRPF vehicle was partly damaged. “It is difficult to believe how anyone in that bus could have survived,” said a police officer.
Jammu and Kashmir Police chief Dilbag Singh said it could have been a suicide attack. This was confirmed by other officials later.
In a statement to a local news agency GNS, a caller claiming to be a spokesman of JeM said it was a ‘suicide’ attack.
All the injured were shifted to the Army’s 92 Base Hospital in the Badamibagh cantonment of Srinagar city. Some of them were in critical condition.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the nation in condemning the horror. “The attack ... is despicable. I strongly condemn this dastardly attack. The sacrifices of our brave security personnel shall not go in vain. The entire nation stands shoulder to shoulder with the families of the brave martyrs,” he tweeted.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh, who was to visit Bihar today, is set to reach Srinagar instead. Home secretary Rajiv Gauba cut short his visit to Bhutan to rush to Srinagar for a high-level security meeting today.
“The dastardly attack ... is extremely painful and disturbing. I bow to each and every CRPF jawan who has sacrificed his life in service to the nation,” Rajnath Singh said.
All traffic on the Srinagar-Jammu Highway came to an abrupt halt. Senior police and CRPF officers rushed to the spot for a post-explosion analysis.
An officer said the CRPF and police would carry out a detailed investigation to understand the circumstances in which the attack took place.
This is the worst single attack in Jammu and Kashmir since a separatist campaign began in 1989. It is also the worst attack carried out by militants after the one on the Uri Army camp on September 18, 2016 left 19 soldiers dead.
Officials said the reason why so many CRPF personnel were on the move at one go was because the Srinagar-Jammu highway had been shut for the past two days due to bad weather. The convoy left Jammu before dawn.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Philippines reports 52 more cases of South African Covid-19 variant
Indian farmers plan major road blockade outside Delhi to mark 100th day of protests
NRIs overstaying due to lockdown to get tax relief
Efficacy data for India's own Covid-19 vaccine could boost public acceptance
Thousands demand India's top judge quit over rape remarks
Modi takes local Covid jab as immunisation drive widens
Modi takes home-grown vaccine as India widens immunisation drive
Kashmir villagers hopeful but wary over LoC ceasefire
Indian coast guard rescues 81 Rohingya on drifting boat, 8 dead, one missing