May calls EU leaders on ‘next steps’ for Brexit
January 19 2019 01:02 AM
RELATED STORIES
.
Prime Minister Theresa May carries her red ministerial box as she leaves from the rear of 10 Downing Street in central London yesterday.

Agencies/ Brussels

Prime Minister Theresa May spoke to EU leaders Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk by telephone yesterday to discuss where to go next on Brexit.
May had previously been in touch with Brussels only by text message since Tuesday, when the parliament rejected the divorce deal she signed in November.
“Discussed with PM @theresa_may the next steps on the UK side.#Brexit,” tweeted Tusk, who represents EU leaders as president of the European Council.
May also spoke separately with the head of the EU executive, European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker, at her request. “It was an exchange of information on both sides. The two agreed to stay in touch,” a spokeswoman for Juncker said.
EU leaders have so far ruled out renegotiating the agreement, but have signalled they could postpone the withdrawal if May comes up with a plan.
Prominent Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage yesterday the UK is likely to delay Brexit and another referendum is possible so opponents of European Union membership need to organise. “I think, I fear that the House of Commons is going to effectively overturn that Brexit.
“To me, the most likely outcome of all of this is an extension of Article 50,” Farage told Sky. “There could be another referendum. The Remain side is well funded, well organised.  They are getting ready for another referendum. It would negligent of the Eurosceptics not to do so,” Farage said.
When asked about the future of the United Kingdom Independence Party which he once led, he said it was “unsalvageable” so he would need a different “vehicle”.
Britons who have changed their minds since voting to leave the European Union in 2016 are among those uniting to call for another chance to reverse the decision.
These “Remainer now” voters, former Brexit supporters, are adding their voices to the chorus of calls for a second referendum amid political paralysis in Britain over the issue.
Gary Maylin, 38, from Norwich in eastern England, said he originally backed leaving the bloc after more than four decades of membership because he “wanted sovereignty for the UK”. He recalled facing a barrage of pro-Brexit sentiment at the time which influenced his choice. “My MP was (pro-)Leave, all the arguments I heard were for Leave,” he said.
“So I decided the EU was to blame for a lot of the things that were going wrong — the inability of our government to control our destiny.”
Maylin was among 51.9% of voters to support leaving the bloc in the nationwide referendum two and-a-half years ago, trumping the 48.1% who went for Remain.
But he says he would now “absolutely” vote the other way. “I’ve come to appreciate that we are not going to... succeed as a nation on our own,” Maylin explained, adding “walking away isn’t working for us”.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS