Suicide bomber kills at least three in southeast Iran: deputy governor
December 06 2018 04:42 PM
General view of damages after a suicide car bomber outside a police station in Chabahar
General view of damages after a suicide car bomber outside a police station in Chabahar

Reuters/Dubai

* Explosive-laden car targets police post
* At least three people killed, including two policemen
* No group has claimed responsibility
* Southeastern port city of Chabahar is near Pakistan

At least three people died and 24 others were injured in a suicide car bomb attack on the police headquarters in Iran's southeast on Thursday, state media reported, adding that the perpetrator was killed.

Television also reported shooting in the area, located in the region of Sistan-Baluchestan, which has long been plagued by violence from both drug smugglers and separatists.

‘Three people were killed and some others were injured,’ Chabahar's acting governor Rahmdel Bameri told state television.

An official told Iranian television that ‘the terrorist who carried out the attack was killed’. He did not elaborate.

Mohammad Hadi Marashi, deputy governor for security affairs, told state television two police officers had been killed.

The state news agency IRNA said some 24 people had been wounded. While authorities said there was no immediate claim of responsibility, IRNA reported that the Sunni jihadist group Ansar al-Furqan had said it carried out the attack.

Videos posted on Twitter, purportedly from Chabahar, showed thick smoke rising from the area. Reuters could not verify their authenticity.

‘Police stopped the explosive-laden car and started firing at the driver ... who then set off the explosion near the police headquarters in Chabahar,’ said Bameri.

Suicide bombings are rare in Iran, but militant groups have carried out several attacks on Iranian security forces in the Sistan-Baluchestan province in recent years.

Iran has stepped up security in border areas after gunmen in September fired at a military parade in the southwestern city of Ahvaz, killing 25 people, almost half of them members of the elite Revolutionary Guards corps.

An ethnic separatist militant group and Islamic State both claimed responsibility for that attack.

Last year, in the first deadly assault claimed by Islamic State in Tehran, 18 people were killed at the parliament and mausoleum of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic.

Jaish al-Adl (Army of Justice), a militant group that has carried out several attacks on Iranian security forces, mainly in Sistan-Baluchestan, claimed responsibility for an attack in 2017 that killed 10 border guards near Pakistan.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS