German police shut down concert over 'Sieg Heil' chants
December 02 2018 03:17 PM
Participants of the neo-Nazi festival 'Shield and Sword Festival' wearing shirts with symbols connec
Participants of the neo-Nazi festival 'Shield and Sword Festival' wearing shirts with symbols connected with nazi as they walk in downtown of Ostritz, Germany, 21 April 2018. More than 1,000 participants from Germany, Poland and Czech Republic gathered to attend the two-day neo-Nazi festival to mark the birthday of Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler on 20 April, 2018. EPA

AFP/Frankfurt am Main

German police at the weekend shut down a far-right rock concert in a small eastern town after members in the crowd started chanting the illegal Nazi slogan "Sieg Heil".
The concert, which took place in Ostritz in the state of Saxony on Saturday, featured two bands from "the right-wing scene" and had drawn an audience of "several hundred", Goerlitz police said in a statement.
Officers stationed outside intervened after hearing shouts of "Sieg Heil" (Hail Victory) coming from the venue at 11:20 pm (2220 GMT). The gig was brought to an end and the building was emptied shortly after 1:00 am.
Several witnesses also reported hearing the chants.
Federal authorities have opened an investigation, Goerlitz police added.
Under German law, using Nazi-era slogans or publicly displaying swastikas and other Nazi symbols is illegal.
The town of Ostritz, near the border with Poland, regularly hosts far-right concerts that are often controversial.
Last April, hundreds of neo-Nazis gathered in the remote town for a festival timed to coincide with Hitler's birthday.
Concern has grown in Germany that the rise of the anti-Islam, anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany party (AfD) in recent years has emboldened the far-right and the neo-Nazi scene.
The fatal stabbing of a German man allegedly by asylum seekers in the city of Chemnitz in August, also in Saxony state, triggered far-right street protests at which some demonstrators performed the straight-armed Hitler salute.
A 34-year-old man was later jailed for five months for making the illegal greeting.

There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*