South Korea's top court on Tuesday ordered a Japanese steel giant to pay compensation over forced wartime labour, a decision likely to further strain ties between the two neighbours.
South Korea and Japan are both democracies and US allies faced with an increasingly assertive neighbour China and the long-running threat of nuclear-armed Pyongyang.
But their own relationship is soured by bitter disputes over history and territory stemming from Japan's brutal 1910-45 colonial rule over the peninsula, with forced labour and wartime sexual slavery key examples.
Tuesday's ruling marks the final South Korean chapter in a 21-year legal battle launched by four South Koreans -- of whom only one remains alive -- against Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal (NSSM), saying they were forced to work at its steel mills between 1941 and 1943.
The Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that each plaintiff be paid 100 million won ($88,000).
The sole surviving claimant, Lee Chun-sik, now in his mid-90s, attended the hearing in a wheelchair and was visibly overcome after the ruling.
‘I'm just very sad that I am the only one remaining,’ Lee told reporters, teary-eyed and choking.
Two South Koreans initially brought the case to a Japanese court in 1997, seeking payment for damages and unpaid wages for forced labour at steel mills owned by a predecessor company of Nippon Steel.
Japanese courts dismissed the case, saying their right to sue had been extinguished by the 1965 treaty.
But the victims -- along with two others including Lee -- launched a separate action in South Korea in 2005, and in 2012 the Supreme Court in Seoul ruled that the company was liable.
Tuesday's decision dismissed NSSM's final appeal over the amount of the award. No further appeals is possible in the South Korean courts.
Nippon Steel & Sumimoto Metal called the decision ‘deeply regrettable’, saying it went against the 1965 treaty which saw Seoul and Tokyo restore diplomatic relations, which included a reparations package of about $800 million in grants and cheap loans.
The firm said it will ‘carefully review the decision of the Supreme Court of Korea in considering its next steps, taking into account the Japanese government's responses on this matter and other factors’.According to official Seoul data, around 780,000 Koreans were conscripted into forced labour by Japan during the 35-year occupation, not including the women forced to work in wartime brothels.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
North Korea's launches short-range missiles, complicating US attempts to restart talks
South Korea to scrap intel-sharing pact with Japan amid dispute over history
US 'prepared to engage' with N. Korea in nuclear talks: envoy
Moon offers olive branch to Japan
South Korea to drop Japan from its fast-track trade 'white list'
N Korea fires two missiles; more can come, says South
North Korea fires two short-range ballistic missiles into sea
US, S. Korea defy North's warnings, start joint drills
North Korea tests more missiles despite efforts at diplomatic solutions