Italian motorbike racer Romano Fenati, who grabbed the handbrake of a rival during a weekend Moto2 race, has announced his retirement from the sport.
‘I think the time has come: it's over, goodbye,’ Fenati told Tuesday's edition of La Repubblica newspaper.
Fenati was disqualified from Sunday's grand prix in Misano, Italy, for reaching across to Stefano Manzi's bike and pulling the brake lever.
He was given a two-race suspension by MotoGP officials and on Monday sacked by his Marinelli Snipers team.
‘I always went on the track to win. To be Romano Fenati. But I realize that nobody cares about me, about the pain I am going through. So it's better to say goodbye [to my career]. Forever,’ he said.
He reiterated he has an impulsive character, saying: ‘I have issues dealing with all the anger I have inside, I admit that. I had been working on it for a couple of years with Lea, my mental coach.
‘I was the most disciplined pilot last season, and everything was continuing to go well. Until Sunday.’ But Fenati also referred to earlier incidents between himself and Manzi during the race.
‘He attacked me three times and he also could have killed me, as you say. The last time was 500 meters before [I reacted] and so I thought: now I'll do the same, I'll show you I can be 'nasty' like you. So perhaps you will finally understand what it means. But I swear, I never meant to do him harm,’ he said.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
PSG fever grips fans
Loeb wins stage but al-Attiyah stretches lead
Qatar-Saudi Asian Cup clash has Latin flair in diplomatic shadow
Late winner as Aussies down Syria to go through
Garcia in no hurry to be Ryder Cup captain
Fleetwood hopes to get his new irons hot and strike again
Dhoni, Kohli steer India to win over Australia
Warriors Club outplay Feroz Youngsters in T20 final
Soderberg hat-trick lifts Avalanche to easy win