Duduzane Zuma, the son of South Africa’s former president Jacob Zuma, appeared in court yesterday on culpable homicide charges over a fatal late-night car crash in 2014.
Duduzane, 34, is accused of causing the death of Phumzile Dube after his Porsche hit a minibus taxi that she was travelling in.
State prosecutors also say a second woman died three months later from injuries suffered in the crash, which occurred in the upmarket business district of Sandton in Johannesburg.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokeswoman Phindi Mjonondwane said the state had applied for a postponement which was granted yesterday.
“The state has had to place the charges formally against Mr Zuma today,” she said after the case was postponed to August 23.
The NPA had previously decided not to charge him before reversing its decision.
Duduzane Zuma also appeared before a separate court on Monday where he was charged with corruption linked to his father’s government, and released on bail.
Jacob Zuma, 76, was forced to resign in February as criticism grew from within the ruling ANC party over multiple graft scandals.
Yesterday, he arrived at the court after the case to lend support to his son and the pair left together. Jacob Zuma currently has five wives and at least 20 children.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Liberians demand return of lost millions at protests
South African villagers tap into trend for ‘superfood’ baobab
Aid groups halt Ebola work as Congo raid toll hits 21
Three police killed in Burkina after foreigners kidnapped
Kenyan troops kill 10 al Shabaab fighters
Rebel attack in Congo Ebola zone kills at least 14 civilians
Pirates kidnap 12 crew from Swiss ship off Nigeria
Families bury victims as Tanzania ferry disaster toll passes 200
Survivor rescued as Tanzania ferry disaster toll passes 200