Taliban attacks on a number of border force checkpoints in northern Takhar province left at least 16 members of the Afghan security forces dead, an official said on Thursday.
Two others were also wounded in the overnight militant attack, which took place in the province's Cha-e-Ab district, the deputy of Takhar's provincial council, Salahuddin Burhani, told dpa.
However, a provincial council member, Rohullah Raoufi, put the casualties from the battle at eight dead and six injured. He also said two members of the border forces were taken hostage by Taliban militants.
Dozens of Taliban militants attacked at least three checkpoints in the district, both officials said.
Taliban militants have an active presence in at least six districts of Takhar province.
Just during the last week, more than 60 members of the Afghan security forces have been killed amid mounting Taliban attacks across Afghanistan.
The government and the Taliban leadership suspended fighting for three days earlier this month, during the Eid holidays, a step that was celebrated by millions of Afghans.
President Ashraf Ghani subsequently extended the government's ceasefire hoping the militants might do the same. However, the Taliban rejected the request and ramped up attacks starting late on Sunday.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Taliban claim Kabul truck bomb attack, warn more to follow
Taliban attack on Afghan police station kills five
Taliban kill 21 Afghan security forces, threaten city: official
Afghan presidential election delayed until July 20
At least 43 killed in Kabul government compound attack
Afghan forces free hundreds held hostage by militants in Kabul
Trump to pull half of US troops from Afghanistan
At least 20 Afghan civilians killed in airstrike: local officials
Strasbourg suspect: a violent criminal on France's terror watchlist