Sydney bushfire destroys more than 1,000 hectares
April 15 2018 10:04 AM
Firefighters fight flames close to homes in Corryton Court, Wattle Grove in Sydney yesterday.
Firefighters fight flames close to homes in Corryton Court, Wattle Grove in Sydney yesterday.

dpa/Sydney

An out-of-control bushfire in Sydney's south-west that has razed more than 1,000 hectares was still burning on Sunday, officials said, but the warning threat had been downgraded.

More than 500 firefighters worked through the night to stop the blaze, which police said may have been deliberately lit, from destroying properties in the suburbs of Holsworthy and Wattle Grove.
"There has been some amazing work done by the firefighters from all agencies. Despite the horrific conditions, there have been no reports of homes being lost," the New South Wales Rural Fire Service wrote on Twitter.
It downgraded the bushfire to a "watch-and-act" alert but warned that dry and windy conditions could make it difficult to contain the blaze.
Hundreds of people have been evacuated from their homes since Saturday evening after embers started raining down. 
The blaze also forced non-essential personnel at nearby Holsworthy army base to be evacuated, Australia broadcaster ABC said.
The munitions store was successfully defended, it said.
Around 100 fire trucks were on the ground and water bombing aircraft were to be deployed on Sunday, the fire service said.
"We've got a lot of work ahead of us and some strong winds dominating the system today which are going to prove very problematic for the firefighters and all those people in and around this fire ground area," fire service commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore