And the question is…When was the last time you had a day when you didn’t ask a question or nobody asked you a question? Can’t recollect, right? Great! You’re in the right company. It is almost unimaginable to have a day like that.
Information surrounds us. Opportunities are buried in information. And, some pieces of information are really fun to have. It blows your grey matter. Interestingly, these are very much part of our daily life and we could easily relate to.
The Lamp Bear always welcomes us at the Hamad International Airport and a look at it and we start feeling so much loved. Want to have some very interesting bits of information about the Lamp Bear? We can’t swim in the Sea of Tranquility. And, for that matter, even in the Sea of Serenity and Sea of Nectar. Know the reason?
To me, a bout of great quizzing is not a boring question-answer session. Quiz is not merely a game, it is an emotion. It feeds on the power of knowledge. And then, we spice it up with fun and entertainment to make that yumm.
We’ll bring to you some great words as well, to add that extra oomph into the vocabulary. Nota-bene: This is designed not to be esoteric.
Welcome to the world of trivia. Welcome to ‘Nutty’s Infotainment. YAYS!’
And your time starts NOW!
1. This cast bronze sculpture was made by Swiss artist Urs Fischer more than a decade ago and was displayed in front of the Seagram Building on New York’s Park Avenue. In 2011, it was sold at an auction at Christie’s New York for $6.8 m. What is it and where do we see it now?
Lamp Bear at Hamad International Airport, Doha.
2. Why can’t you get drowned in the Sea of Tranquility?
The Sea of Tranquility is a dark spot located in the northern hemisphere of the Moon. The sea is not a body of water but a lower-altitude plain.
3. What does Volkswagen, the popular German car, mean in English?
The People’s Car.
4. In which part of the body would you find cells called rods and cones?
Retina of the eye.
5. In the Harry Potter series, what position does Harry play on the Gryffindor Quidditch team?
6. Who are ‘Thrillionaires’?
A new class of high-tech entrepreneurs looking to use their wealth to make science-fiction dreams into a modern reality. E.g. Elon Musk, Richard Branson.
7. A two-time Wimbledon singles champion was robbed at her home in the Czech Republic by a knife-wielding attacker in December, 2016 and which resulted in severe tendon and nerve injuries to her playing left hand. Name her.
Petra Kvitova, the winner of 2018 Qatar Total Open.
8. How was Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu famously known as?
Mother Teresa, known in the Catholic Church as Saint Teresa of Calcutta. She was honoured with the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 “for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitutes a threat to peace”.
9. In fiction, who were the opposing forces in the Battle of Cowshed and Battle of Humans?
Animal and Human beings in George Orwell’s Animal Farm.
10. Identify the celebrity from the photograph.
What’s the Good Word?
1. Zealot: (a) elegant (b) fervent proponent (c) tight-rope walker (d) classless
2. Wonky: (a) Off-centre (b) tired (c) highly clothed (d) bloodless
3. Rambunctious: (a) skilful (b) foolish (c) imaginary (d) boisterous
4, Quixotic: (a) conspicuous (b) unrealistic (c) argumentative (d) minacious
5. Jejune: (a) hatred (b) luxurious (c) momism (d) uninteresting
6. Gallivant: (a) mouse potato (b) predictive (c) wander aimlessly for pleasure (d) traditional
7. Esoteric: (a) designed for or understood only by few (b) informal (c) legislative (d) zoolatry
8. Absquatulate: (a) denounce (b) throw out of window (c) leave abruptly (d) confuse
9. Barmecide: (a) brief in speech (b) illusory or imaginary (c) tax on salt (d) abusive language
10. Catoptromancy: (a) rule of cats (b) humming (c) extreme superstition (d) divination by mirror
Answers: 1 (b); 2 (a); 3 (d); 4 (b); 5 (d); 6 (c); 7 (a); 8 (c); 9 (b); 10 (d)
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Beacon of light
`Exception to the country music rule
Modelling will always be special, says Malaika
Hip-hop, pop stars dominate Grammy Awards nominations
A beautiful sight
Chilean filmmaker’s take on toxic white masculinity
Beaming with joy at fairytale wedding
Read the signs
Introducing the Memsaab