Seven children have died of food poisoning after eating sea turtle, officials in Madagascar said on Wednesday.
The children, between a few months and 4 years old, were from the same family in the north of the island off the East African coast.
"Seven children died on January 8 and 9, including two infants after breastfeeding whose mothers had eaten the turtle meat," Said Borohany, a medical inspector, told dpa.
Sea turtles are a protected species in Madagascar, but people still eat them. Between November and March, the animals feed on toxic algae that lines the seabed, and the toxins can be found in their flesh.
"This kind of case occurs every year at this time," said Manitra Rakotoarivony, director of health promotion at the Health Ministry.
"Yet we go down to these areas to explain that locals should not eat this meat," he added.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
EU, US studying Iran response to ‘final’ nuclear text
Odinga says presidential election result a ‘travesty’
Ruto declared winner in Kenya presidential poll
Ruto leads in Kenya vote, media tallies show, as announcement seen imminent
Kenya presidential vote count: Ruto surges ahead
Odinga slightly ahead in Kenya presidential race: early results
First rigging allegation crops up in Kenya presidential race
Ten years on, South Africa awaits justice for slain striking miners
Kenya watchdog cancels four local polls on eve of presidential vote