Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday businessmen who attempted to move assets abroad were ‘traitors’, and called on his cabinet to block any such moves.
‘I am seeing signals, news that some businessmen are trying to move their assets abroad, and I call on firstly my cabinet from here to never allow this exit for any of them because these people are traitors,’ Erdogan said.
Speaking to members of his ruling AK Party in the eastern province of Mus, Erdogan did not say to whom he was referring, nor did he single out a single business, person or country of destination.
His comments come after the state-run Anadolu news agency said on Friday that Turkish prosecutors were set to seize the assets of Turkish-Iranian gold trader Reza Zarrab, who is cooperating with US prosecutors in the trial of a Turkish bank executive charged with evading US sanctions on Iran, and his acquaintances.
The trial has caused already strained ties between NATO allies Ankara and Washington to deteriorate further as Zarrab detailed in court a scheme to evade the US sanctions, saying that Erdogan personally authorized two Turkish banks to join the scheme when prime minister.
Ankara has cast the testimony as an attempt to undermine Turkey and its economy, and has previously said it was a ‘clear plot’ by the network of US-based Fethullah Gulen, who it alleges engineered last year's coup attempt.
‘We cannot take kindly to those who earn in this country and then try to take those earnings abroad,’ Erdogan said.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Iran vows response after 29 killed at army parade
Lebanon navy rescues dozens from sinking Cyprus-bound boat
Iran FM blames 'foreign regime' backed by US for parade attack
24 killed including 12 Revolutionary Guards in attack on Iran military parade
Yemeni children brave new school year as war rages on
Palestinian shot dead in new Gaza clashes
Egypt commemorates the rescue of ancient monuments
Eight Palestinians injured in Israeli fire
More than 5mn children in Yemen ‘risk starving to death’