A suicide bomber struck at a crowd of people in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar on Thursday killing at least eight, officials said, in an attack that underscored worsening security.
The bomber approached the crowd of dozens on foot in provincial capital Jalalabad as they were demonstrating in support of a local police commander who had been sacked and calling for his reinstatement, provincial spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said.
‘Unfortunately, eight people were killed, all of them civilians,’ he said.
A further 15 people including children were also wounded in the explosion, he added.
The casualty toll was also confirmed by provincial health director Najib Kamawal, who said some of those wounded were in a serious condition.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.
But the Taliban are active in Nangarhar province, as are the Islamic State group.
Afghan and US officials have stepped up their attacks against IS and recently said it is steadily losing territory, with fighters largely confined to two or three districts in Nangarhar from around nine in January.
But the group has intensified attacks across the country, particularly in the east and in the capital Kabul, recruiting followers and in some places challenging the Taliban on its own turf.
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Roadside bomb kills 7 civilians in Afghanistan
Afghan journalist and driver killed in blast
Afghanistan to free 900 more Taliban prisoners
Afghan ceasefire holds as prisoner release expected
Afghan president vows to speed up release of Taliban prisoners
Suicide bombing in Afghanistan leaves seven dead and dozens wounded
Afghan President Ghani and rival Abdullah sign power-sharing deal
Several killed in Afghanistan as militants attack checkpoints
Gunmen attack Afghan hospital where MSF aid group runs a clinic