Claims panel concerned about stranded expatriates
August 02 2017 11:29 PM
Qatar
The Compensation Claims Committee continues to receive complaints and enquiries from individuals affected by the blockade.

Doha

A number of Qataris who have approached the Compensation Claims Committee for redress have expressed concern over the condition of their expatriate employees stranded in some of the siege countries.
The workers look after the business as well as livestock of these citizens, but the latter are unable to get in touch with them, it is learnt. Also, the residency permits of most of the workers have expired, or will do so soon, but cannot be renewed because their Qatari employers are not able to travel to the blockading countries.
Besides, the workers cannot even send or receive money through transfers, the employers point out. The committee, meanwhile, continues to receive complaints and enquiries from individuals affected by the blockade. On Tuesday, it received 46 related claims and 14 calls.
Besides receiving complaints and classifying them to file cases in relevant courts seeking compensation for the losses incurred, the committee helps people prepare the necessary documents and advise them on what should be done to submit a claim.
Claims for potential loss of property in the siege countries, particularly the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, as well as livestock and other assets are among the cases being received by the committee, in addition to students' complaints as well as humanitarian and family-related issues. 
Abulrahman al-Mahmoud, a citizen, said he has not been able to pay instalments for an apartment he bought in Sharjah, the UAE, since the blockade started. He, however, had paid an instalment before the blockade. So, he approached the committee to look for a solution, either to get back the money he paid or continue paying the remaining instalments and have access to his property there.
Fahd Jassim said he was not able to pursue his studies in Sharjah due to the blockade. He and many other Qatari students with similar cases have been treated unjustly by the siege countries and there should be a compensation for this, he argued. 
Mohamed al-Dusari said he sold his companies in the UAE, but had not received payment for the deals so far as monetary transactions with Qatar are stopped. He stressed that the situation has no logical grounds, especially that the GCC countries have been brothers and friends all the time.
Most of the applicants stressed that the blockade has made them lose trust in the investment and academic climate in the siege countries. It has also affected the unity of many families that have relatives across the GCC countries but are denied access due to the blockade, which cannot be justified.



There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore