New Saudi bloc blacklist 'disappointing'
July 26 2017 12:28 PM
Qatar Flag
.

Agencies/Doha

Sheikh Saif bin Ahmed al-Thani, director of Government Communications Office, said the decision by four Arab states to add 18 groups and individuals allegedly linked to Doha to their "terrorist" list has no basis in fact.

"It comes as a disappointing surprise that the blockading countries are still pursuing this story as part of their smear campaign against Qatar," Al Jazeera quoted him as saying on Wednesday.
"This latest list provides further evidence that the blockading countries are not committed to the fight against terrorism," he said, adding: "All individuals with links to terrorism in Qatar have been prosecuted."
Sheikh Saif Bin Ahmed al-Thani, , said in a statement sent to Reuters.
"This latest list provides further evidence that the blockading countries are not committed to the fight against terrorism. As we have previously stated, all individuals with links to terrorism in Qatar have been prosecuted."
Sheikh Saif said Qatar constantly reviews its anti-terror laws to "remain on the front foot in the fight against extremism and terror financing".
The four countries severed relations with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of financing terrorism, meddling in the affairs of Arab countries and maintaining relations with Iran.
Doha signed an agreement earlier this month with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson aimed at combating terrorist financing, part of a US effort to end the rift between Western-allied Arab states for years.
The blacklist now includes three Yemeni charities, three Libyan media outlets, two armed groups and a religious foundation, some of which are already subject to US sanctions.

Last updated: July 27 2017 12:10 AM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore