Iran ambassador to remain in Kuwait despite spat
July 24 2017 12:12 PM
Iran
The Iranian embassy in Kuwait City.

AFP/Tehran

Iran said on Monday it was disappointed at Kuwait's decision to reduce the number of Iranian diplomats in the country, but said its ambassador would remain. 
Kuwait announced last week that 15 Iranian diplomats would have to leave within six weeks in response to the conviction of a "terror" cell with alleged links to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
"We did not expect this from Kuwait," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi said, according to the Irna news agency.
"We have always maintained positive relations with Kuwait in the Gulf region. The action by the country was not nice... but we can still continue conversations and contacts," he added.
Ghasemi confirmed that Iran's ambassador would remain in Kuwait, a question which had remained unclear when the move was announced on Thursday.
Kuwait's supreme court last week convicted 21 people of belonging to a cell trained and formed by the Revolutionary Guards -- an allegation which Iran said was "baseless".
Kuwait, which has a sizeable Shia majority, has had tense relations with Iran, although it has tried to act more as a mediator in regional disputes.
Kuwait greatly reduced its diplomatic presence in Tehran last year after its ally Saudi Arabia completely severed relations with Iran, although it kept a charge d'affaires and two officials.

Last updated: July 24 2017 12:16 PM


There are no comments.

LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
MORE NEWS

HAPPENING IN DOHAMore