The US will maintain good relations with Qatar, President Donald Trump has told an American news channel, adding that the US airbase won't be moved out of Qatar despite the economic blockade imposed on Doha by the Saudi-led group.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt imposed a land, sea and air blockade on Qatar on June 5.
Qatar is home to the Al-Udeid airbase that holds the forward headquarters of Central Command and hosts around 10,000 American troops.
But while saying there are "10 countries willing to build us another base", Trump said "we will not have a problem with the military base".
"We are going to have a good relationship with Qatar and not going to have a problem with the military base," Trump said in an interview with CBN News aired on Wednesday.
"If we ever had to leave, we'd have 10 countries willing to build us another one. And they'll pay for it. The days of us paying for things are largely over."
Trump visited Saudi Arabia in May on the first leg of his first foreign trip since taking office and held a series of meetings with the king and other Arab and Muslim leaders.
During the two-day visit, Trump also signed an arms deal with Saudi Arabia worth almost $110bn.
Last month, the United States and Qatar signed a deal for the purchase of F-15 fighter jets with an initial cost of $12bn.
On Thursday, the White House said Trump spoke to Saudi Arabia’s King Salman by phone and discussed efforts to resolve the dispute.
The anti-Doha quartet issued a list of 13 demands that included shutting down Al Jazeera Media Network, sever all alleged ties with the Muslim Brotherhood and with other groups, including Hezbollah, al-Qaeda and ISIS, limiting Qatar's ties with Iran and expelling Turkish troops stationed in the country.
Qatar denies the charges of extremism and called the demands "unrealistic".
In an interview published by The Times newspaper on Wednesday, Noura al-Kaabi, the UAE minister for the federal national council, said the Emirates sought "fundamental change and restructuring" of Al Jazeera rather than to shut it.
"The staff at the channel can keep their jobs and Qatar can still fund a TV channel but not one which provides a platform for extremists and where the English channel is a protective shield for the much more radical Arabic one," Kaabi told The Times.
Foreign diplomats, including US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, visited the region and called for direct talks to solve the crisis.
During Tillerson's visit to Doha, Qatar, and the US also signed an agreement to help combat "terrorism financing".
LEAVE A COMMENT Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked*
Panels on roads to display weather info by QCAA
US-China tariffs war drags global growth to lowest in a decade: IMF
Temporary partial closure on Al Corniche, Mohammed Bin Thani streets
Arab delegations visit MoI forensic lab
Commercial Bank warns clients, public about SMS phishing
California-style homes come to Qatar
World’s rarest pearl to be showcased at Index Qatar 2019
Waves Trading & Contracting W.L.L Pioneering Qatar’s global transformation
FM meets Antigua counterpart